Changes in the J223 formula?

I've been talking w/another candlemaker about the J223 today. She said hers is smoking a lot lately where it wasn't before.

I told her I didn't think it had changed. But then I haven't really burned any straight J223 candles for a while since I'm working on adding soy to it right now. I lit a few of my J223 candles off of the shelf and I'll be darned if 1 didn't smoke and 3 of them the wicks fizzled out after the melt pool was full.

Is anyone else having problems or am I just imagining something weird here??:undecided

It does seem a lot softer than usual but I just attributed that to the heat of summer.

i did find a change in j233 recently, for one it dimples at the wicks, and i did have to wick up one some of my scents. i am actually randomly test burning right now, i may have to retest all my scents, i am pretty bummed out about it.

I use 223 - just bought some more last month....I also use zinc wicks and haven't noticed a problem. However.....with that said, I am changing to the GL 70/30 after next month.....

I double wick the 10 and 16 oz apothecaries with 44 z's and have had no problem.....I also make the 1/2 pint canning jars with 51's and they burn fine - marathon burns cause sooting if I don't trim but other than that I am not seeing a problem (and of course, that is my fault for the marathon burns).

I have read where people have been having a problem and they were thinking it was the wax :undecided I guess I have just been lucky!

Have any of you noticed the wax changing colors? My light colors have turned brown in the melt pool area when it hardens agian. I thought it wax the zincs, but after testing it has also done it with LX's and HPT's.

I definitely feel like it has changed, or I got a batch that wasn't the normal standards! I'm not even sure if I would have noticed if I hadn't finished a box of the old wax and opened a new one during the same pouring session, but there was a definite difference--the new wax is SO much softer than it used to be. I, too, got the dimpling at the wick and also the candles were sunken a little in the center (not sure that was a good explanation--but the wax on the edges of the jar was at a slightly higher level than in the center). Of course, I was pouring on the weekend and had thought I would call my supplier on Monday and ask about it, but then I discovered that another problem had been solved!

I was having trouble with some of my jelly jars getting tiny holes on the top and when I opened those holes up, there was a much larger tunnel down inside the candle. But I never get those with the "different" J223--I'm on my fourth case of the new stuff and that problem has gone away, so I decided I'd rather deal with the dimple and be glad of the change!

Just my 2 cents worth!

Jane

Last year several people were having problems with J223, me included. I seem to remember everyone concluding it was a bad batch. Sinkholes, smoking, drowing out in FO's where it didn't before..that sort of thing. AND it was alot softer than the previous batches. I don't remember all the places people got the batch but I got mine from Candlewic.

Since then this is the first time I've heard anything bad about J223. HTH

Last year several people were having problems with J223, me included. I seem to remember everyone concluding it was a bad batch. Sinkholes, smoking, drowing out in FO's where it didn't before..that sort of thing. AND it was alot softer than the previous batches. I don't remember all the places people got the batch but I got mine from Candlewic.

Since then this is the first time I've heard anything bad about J223. HTH

Call or e-mail your suppliers and let them know. Wax manufactures do have human beings that work there which means mistakes can and will happen. The problems that Cetacea is talking about is why I used the remainder of my J223 in my tart mix and never tried it for containers again. ( plus I preferred the comfort blend ) I did not get the bad case from Candlewic. Be sure to include the batch# of your wax with your correspondence. If enough people complain about the same problems and it all came from the bad batch# then that will help the manufacture figure out where the problem came from ( hopefully:wink2: )