Wet Spots - EcoSoy Advanced

I'm brand new to soy candlemaking and testing different waxes. I poured candles last night using EcoSoy Advanced in 8 oz mason jars. I heated the wax to 155 and poured at that temperature. Let them cool overnight on the counter at room temp. When I got up this AM all the candles have what looks like a wet spot down the side of the container. What would cause this? Thanks.

Kay

It's just the wax pulling away from the jar. It really isn't that big of a deal and only seems to bother the chandler but customers don't notice or don't care. They don't affect the candle other than looks (cosmetic). Look at all the big guys and you will find plenty of wet spots. ;)

I'm brand new to soy candlemaking and testing different waxes. I poured candles last night using EcoSoy Advanced in 8 oz mason jars. I heated the wax to 155 and poured at that temperature. Let them cool overnight on the counter at room temp. When I got up this AM all the candles have what looks like a wet spot down the side of the container. What would cause this? Thanks.

Kay

The manufacturer doesn't claim that wax sticks to the glass. In fact they just call it a feature and say it's a release wax. Give it time and it may release completely, or it may not. There are other soys that will give you much better adhesion if you prefer.

It's quite common for the Advanced to do that.

And yes, it bothers us more than our customers.

I'd like to suggest that you try pouring a bit cooler, perhaps around 125, and cover them w/a box to cool. That may help you, as it seems to keep mine to a minimum.

HTH

Unfortunately, like others have said this is the way this wax is supposed to behave. It is meant to release entirely from the jar. They say this is to prevent wetspots.

A couple of waxes that have very good container adhesion are Bluegrass -(you'll have to add stuff if you want it to have smooth tops after burning.) and Greenleaf. Both of these have really consistant results for container adhesion. And both have much better scent throw than the CBA.

I agree with Meridith. I think that it bothers us more than the customer. I was recently in a Y---- candle store. Every candle that I looked at had tons of wet spots and looked 3xs worse than my candles. So don't sweat it.:D

Beverly S

Beverly you are right. I use soy but my husbad went to Yank** last year and bought about twenty of their candles. They have wet spots all over their jars and their tops are not perfect. If I knew how to post a picture I would show you all a ton of them. Depending on the temp of my house 415 will do it sometimes but not always. But 464 hasn't done it at all yet. I have asked several people about the Eco and they complained about the wet spots. There are several posts on this sight that mention it. I have had good luck with Golden Brands.

• 4 months later...

Stacie,

How is the throw with Golden Brands 464? I have been using C-3 and I really don't like it. I've been working with it but I want a wax that is easier. I have stopped using dyes and they look much better but I am still having some issues. I was reading up on EcoSoy and reading reviews from the site and a lot of people don't seem to be happy with C-3 or EcoSoy.

Kenya