Do additives tend to raise a Wax's Melt Point?

I have a question for you experienced chandlers. If I were to take a straight paraffin, with a low melt point, like the IGI 2281, and add thing such as Vybar, and Crisco, what effect, if any, would that have on the melt point?

This wax, in preliminary testing, seems to be very easy to wick. Burns VERY easily. What will happen to that, once the other things are added?

One more question. Are there straight paraffins out there with lower melt points than this? I've not found any but would love to hear from you if you have.

I don't know the MP of Crisco but I think it's pretty low. I assume it's more viscous than the paraffin and would require wicking up commensurate with the concentration.

MP for scale wax doesn't go much lower than that. I think I've seen it, but it's not commonly available and you don't need it. The MP of blends is manipulated in other ways.

You can only go so low if you want to ship in the summer. Think "Candles Soup".

CC- the meltpoint can be altered with the presence of additives. It doesn't HAVE to be altered. It would depend on what additive was used and the percentage.

Additives meaning a broad spectrum of elements. You can achieve a formidable product with paraffin blends and make it proprietary formulation. This is common with the big candle companies.

If you are using Crisco at less than 10% it should not effect the wicking status.

Are you trying to maintain the meltpoint and increase scent retention? Or are you trying to alter the properties of the paraffin for other reasons. Additives can be tricky, and require precise measurements for optimal performance and continuity in your formulation.

I do believe IGI 2281 is the lowest on the meltpoint scale of paraffin.

Thanks, Mystical. I appreciate your input. To answer your questions, I'm going to be adding roughly 5% crisco and a tiny amount (maybe 0.5% Vybar 260) for purposes of scent retention (as this wax only holds about 5% fo). The Crisco will be added for purposes of glass adhesion, etc. I'm trying to maintain the lowest melt point possible. This wax, on it's own, without additives, is absurdly easy to wick. I'm trying to maintain that as much as possible.

Any suggestions?

There are lower MP paraffins, however they will have an even higher oil content than scale wax. Some even will pool oil on top w/o any fragrance. Additionally, the lower MP usually(but not always) also means a softer wax. Some are borderline hard enough to slab. Now if you are willing to buy in 55 gallon drums (approx. 400 pounds), then there might be an option or two for you. Note - Scale wax is as far down as one can go and the wax remain food grade. While I am sure few are interested in eating (at least knowingly - ps don't swallow your gum!) - it also means it might not be odor free - important for candles I would guess.

brad

Would the lower MP waxes be suitable for candlemaking?

If it already may appear oily~ what would the outcome be as far as adding FO and selected additives? Is this wax you speak of generally used as a food coating? (produce- etc) I am curious to know.

Isn't this the lowest you can possibly buy- and not commonly used for candles? LOL... My, I ask many questions, huh? :wink2:

This type (2281) is commonly used for candles, I would say. In fact, I would guess it's the base wax for more of the pre-blends out there. A little bit of refining procedures, and, I'm guessing it would make a perfectly suitable (or better) custom blend. I've spoken to a couple of respected candle makers who absolutely swear by it.

Yes, you are correct- CC. :wink2:

I know the IGI 2281 can and has been used by experienced candlemakers.

It can be used as a base for an outstanding custom formulation.

My question for Brad was on the lowest of the low MP waxes.

I am curious if these waxes are truly suitable for candles. If they might have an oily appearance, I would imagine their FO load would be lower than most. Plus, if the raw material already has an odor, why would anyone attempt to make a candle from it? Inquiring minds would love to know.

Edited to add: nevermind on the questions, Top gave me the answer.

I know what slack wax is and what it can be used for.

Yes, you are correct- CC. :wink2:

I know the IGI 2281 can and has been used by experienced candlemakers.

It can be used as a base for an outstanding custom formulation.

My question for Brad was on the lowest of the low MP waxes.

I am curious if these waxes are truly suitable for candles. If they might have an oily appearance, I would imagine their FO load would be lower than most. Plus, if the raw material already has an odor, why would anyone attempt to make a candle from it? Inquiring minds would love to know.

I knew that...LOL

Sorry 'bout that. Thought you were talking about the 2281.