Question about self-trimming wicks...

I've sold a few candles to some co workers, and I've had a few remarks about the wick bending over and causing the candle to burn off-center...which can cause the wax to pour down the side that it's burning towards after it's been burning awhile. Everything I've read says that it's SUPPOSED to bend over...so if that's the case, there's no way to keep it from burning to one side. Right? I've thought about the zinc core wicks...but from what I've read, most people use flat braid or square braid wicks...and both bend over. So...what do y'all know about this? :)

If they're bending over that much, I'd think it was something else, like a sink hole. I've not had flat braids or square braids cause that much of a problem for me, so without seeing the candle or splitting it open if it's repeated would be harder for me to make more suggestions. Making sure wicks are trimmed properly would help too.

How long do you think awhile might be?

You could take a second look at the wicking and make sure you have it as good as possible. An off-center burn pool could contribute to a guttering problem, but with the right wicking it shouldn't be too easy to get a blowout even if the burn pool isn't perfectly centered. The wick could be a little too small or too large.

Candles sometimes include instructions to nudge the wick after extinguishing to keep the burn pool centered. This can be good because any wick could be a little bent or off center.

This is weird, but it works. I use raw wicking, pre-wick my molds and twist very tightly. Seems to keep the wick straighter.

e

See pics showing the "twisted wicks" I wish I could remember who it was on the old board that gave me this idea so I could give them the credit. If you don't believe it works then do a test. Wick one pillar your normal way and burn. Chances are great that you will probably get a lopsided burn. The pillar with the twisted wick should have a nice even burn. As the candle burns down the wick very slowly ( you won't notice it ) turns so that you end up with a nice even burn. Only takes a few extra seconds to do so give it a try. Note: I've only tried this on the raw flat braided wicks.

This is weird, but it works. I use raw wicking, pre-wick my molds and twist very tightly. Seems to keep the wick straighter.

e

I read this in another thread a few days ago.....and duh, such a simple thing, yet it makes perfect sense. Great idea.