Looking for a good "red"

I used a wonderful powdered dye and got a perfect red color- not pink at all.... pure red! BUT- it was a local place that I got my powdered dyes from and they have gone out of business. I have switched over to liquid dyes now and am happy w/ them except for the red. I cannot find a good pure red dye like I got w/ my powder.

I don't mind using powder if that is what it takes to get that color.... liquid would be nice, but I am flexible :)

Do you know of a good supplier that has a true red dye- either liquid or powder?

That question has been asked many times. I have the following responses saved on my computer for getting a true red. Have not tried them yet:

1. When it comes to red I think I have figured it out! I use J223 and if you want a bright bold red here's my recipe, for three pounds of wax I use 14 drops of red to 3 drops of orange...yup you read that right. The orange takes the pink out of the red and makes it a fire engine red. HTH

2. I don’t know what wax you're using, but a mix of red and brown works for me. I use scarlet color block and brown diamond chip. I usually go about half and half, but more scarlet will give you a brighter red, more brown darker.

3. Someone on here told me to try cinnamon red chips, I use 1 1/2 chips per #, if I want to get a darker red for my baked apple FO I put approximately 1/8 gram black with it. I love this because it is so simple and I can get a consistent color. I use soy/j223. HTH

4. I use liquid dyes and I add 1 drop of yellow for eachpound of wax. It helps get the pink out.

5. I use a red block from Candlewic, and a little burgundy color block. I use 50/50 soy/J223.

Like ScentsandMore is suggesting, you normally mix colors to make a deep red in an opaque wax like soy. With plain red it would take a huge amount of dye. Since powder is pure dye, you can easily use a massive amount but it's not such a good idea. Just to give you an idea of scale, a red color chip is made from something like 0.2 grams of powder. Even just an eighth of a teaspoon would be several times that much.

Thanks everyone! Sorry about not searching first.... :(

The powdered dye that I had been using required only a little little bit to get a good deep red. I use the pinch, dash, smidgen spoons for my powder and it only took the middle one per pound of wax to get a vibrant red. No mixing colors needed.

Thanks everyone- if I ever find out what the powder was that I got, I will let you know :)