wholesale question

lpoitras

So you show your flyer/brochure to a retailer who expressed interest. Then you do a follow up email/call to see if he/she received it and if they have any further questions. how long before you get an order? I have gotten a lot of interest to emails/phone calls. I do the above and wait about 2 weeks now and nothing. Is this typical for this time of year or do they just not want my candles? How can you tell?

When I was courting wholesaler orders, I made sure to get a free sample into their hands and encourage them to use it. You may have to wait a month or more ... some retailers are just super busy, and summer isn't usually a peak time for candle sales. They may show more interest in the fall. :)

Did you leave them a sample to try?

Maybe you are contacting them at their busy time?

Some places might not be interested in candles in the summer months. I am sure it is not your product, but may be they are waiting until the fall to order?

Maybe she is trying to unload her other mass produced stuff first?

opps I guess it could be a him..:)

How high is your minimum? Did you offer them exclusive to their area?

Maybe they want private label? If she has already expressed an interet....

Summer is a tough month for sales of candle stuff... She might also be waiting to see what is at Market. The fall season market if in the summer for a lot of the country. She might be wanting to wait and see if there is anything like your stuff there.

maybe you can rent an area of her store, or you might try a percentage thing, you stock her and she gets so much? Then when she sees how well you do she will want the whole profit? If you have a lot of whoelsalers right now maybe they will give you a reference on how well you sell.

One lady (sells village and circle e for years and years) told me that she tried the handmade route but the makers kept going under or couldn't produce enough for her, so she only sells manufactured.

OR you could let her know that you will only offer her the exclusive for so long then you will go elsewhere, most stores have competition and they would rather have your excusive product than have their neighbor have it...

just some ideas for you...

I guess I got spoiled because the first 5 stores we walked into we got 3 orders. None have repeated yet but it was encouraging. Then a sample went to a store about 1/2 hour from me and she got a big order. So it was too easy. then someone else expressed interest, I gave her a sample, (I always offer exclusive area or private label) and then even offered her about 5 on consignment. No answer yet. Then the next week I sent out emails, one was very excited, went to show the sample, she LOVED my specialty item but her and her partner decided (I left 3 samples) not at this time. since then (early spring) it has been getting harder. I guess I will just have to join a couple of chambers as planned, put out my fundraising packets as planned, complete the web site as planned and learn how to make votives and pillars this summer. And market any chance I get the whole time. I do have an offer for a story in a small publication on my specialty item and a place in an online store for drop ship as soon as my site is up so I can concentrate on that. Was just hoping for a little more $$ from orders before then.....I can dream, can't I??? Thanks guys.

From the shop owners point of view i can tell you that "private labeling" and exclusive areas are a MAJOR selling point for me! Both the lines I carry are like that. It was great when someone from another shop asked me for the number of the candle maker i use and I was able to tell her "here it is but I have exclusive in a 50 mile radius". I know the customers have to come to me to get their fix!

But with that said.... summer time is really slow for candle sales. The kids are out of school, people are planning and taking vacations etc. I use the summer to research new companies, try out candle lines and then make my decisions in late summer/early fall of what new lines to bring in.

HTH

Me being a candle maker & shop owner, from some companies, I have to order Christmas in early spring which will be delivered in the fall & I don't get billed until then. Also the gift market is in June, so shop owners will be looking there this month.

As a small time candle maker myself (well I say small time, I can produce hunderds of candles per day) and I guess you are small time too. You have to let the shop owner know that you are small time and don't have candles made and ready to ship. Tell the owner you need an order now so they can be made to deliver in the fall. Also tell them (if you can afford it) they will not have to pay for the candles until they are delivered in the fall.

I was just going to say the same thing Candle Man said, the June/July gift markets are just around the corner and some may be waiting until after they go to market to decide. I am an exhibitor at the markets and many times my retailers will wait and reorder at the market, i'm assuming so they can smell any new scents. I did a show in March and two of those accounts ordered stock thru the end of the year. I do my last market in Aug and those orders plus my reorders will keep me busy till the next January markets.

I, personally, talk to both my girls who do the candles for my shop all the time, but that wasn't an issue either way to sway me. I was swayed by the excellence of the product sample I used (one company sent me two to test burn at no charge which was wonderful as they were in completely different types of containers so I could see what other items would be like) and the other allowed me to make a small purchase of different candles at wholesale before actually becoming a buyer.

Turnoffs to shop owners are overly pushy sales! I have one company that I requested a catalog from and I am not kidding you when I say that they call me twice weekly! Finally I told the girl that I would be ready in the fall and would call them when I was ready.

Market time is really hectic as we get bombarded with all the new things! And as Candle Man said we are already having to plan for Christmas. My Ganz rep brought me the Christmas books last month! And Russ has theirs out already too.

I was just going to say the same thing Candle Man said, the June/July gift markets are just around the corner and some may be waiting until after they go to market to decide. I am an exhibitor at the markets and many times my retailers will wait and reorder at the market, i'm assuming so they can smell any new scents. I did a show in March and two of those accounts ordered stock thru the end of the year. I do my last market in Aug and those orders plus my reorders will keep me busy till the next January markets.

You mean the trade shows??