Wicking square glass

These aren't square masons, more like a heavy square tumbler. The inside diameter of the glass at the top is 2.9" from side to side, but almost 3.5" corner to corner. The glass tapers ever so slightly down to the bottom. It is about 3" high.

I've tried 44c, 51c, 62c, CD14, CD16, and CD18's. Tried an LX22 but the tunnelling was horrible.

Because of the gentle taper of the glass, I end up with either wasted wax in the first 1/8" at the top (but a full melt pool underneath as it catches up, so I end up with a "collar" of wax), or a perfect melt from the get-go and hot glass and bouncing wicks as it gets towards the end of the candle. All of the cotton core wicks mushroom pretty badly, but the CD's perform pretty well as far as mushrooming. Corner hangup, while somewhat present, usually catches up by the second or third burn (with the exception of the aforementioned collar).

FO is medium/heavy. Load in the testers is .5oz FO in 7oz wax. Wax is plain old 415 soy. Scent throw is great despite the wick problems.

I thought about double wicking with a couple of 36c's or CD10's, but worry about the wicks stealing oxygen from each other as they get lower in the glass. I've never double wicked a container this small, so I'm not sure whether to even bother or if it might be better to move on to another wick series, like HTP or LX.

Any ideas?

I have used a square quilted container, and it was 3 1/2" corner to corner. I used SS Hazelnut Cappuccino at 7% and wicked with one HTP 1312. Used 415 with 3% BW. The corner hangup eventually eroded after the candle was halfway down.

HTH! geek

I personally would go for the double wicking. The jars you are describing sound like the pretty ones that Walmart sells. I don't use CD's, so I can't tell you on that, but I believe I wicked mine with double HTP83's or 93's, so whatever the equivilant CD wick is (don't have my conversion chart handy), I would try that. I don't think a single wick is gonna get the corner to corner burn. Not unless it gets hot enough partway down the jar to release the little bit of residue from the corners. Let us know how it goes.

p.s. - CD's and HTP are essentially the same wick, HTP are made here, and CD in Germany.

Thanks geek and Kaybee! All advice helps after more than half a dozen failed to mediocre candles! :highfive:

Kaybee, I didn't know that about the HTP's. :yay: That's a timesaver as I like the CD's and have a good supplier.

I'm going to try two CD10's in one and see if that helps.

I'm going to try two CD10's in one and see if that helps.
If you want to try Kaybee's solution I think that may on target. There's a conversion chart floating around that I don't totally trust, but I think you can best match them up by the yield (amount that fits on a spool). CD-10 is the closest to HTP-83 by that reckoning.

Thanks, Top! I think I found the chart thread you're referring to.

Candlewic has a yield chart by the spool (yd/lb). According to them, the CD10's yield 341, CD12's 321, and HTP-83's come in at 331.

Looks like it might be close enough to call it good but if 2 CD10's or 2 CD12's don't cut it I may seek out a sample pack somewhere and give the HTP-83's a try.