I need to check first.

Hello I would like to send my cousin some sugar scrub but need to check if I got all my base coverd I add sugar shea butter oil and 5 drops of perservative, and scent do I need anything else like to make sure no mold or bastica I know I spelled that wrong I don't want her to get sick she said that she will be my tester. Thanks I also made a scrub using lotion and sugar do I need to add a pervative? Thanks again.

In order to be sure you have the right amount of preservative, you need to weigh all of your ingredients and follow the preservative manufactures suggestions for usage according to how much scrub you made. You also need to be sure that you used the correct preservative for a sugar scrub.

I don't believe I would send a product to be tested by anyone (even family) without knowing that I had followed the correct procedures. You cannot just add drops of preservative and hope it's enough. I don't want to sound harsh, but you really really really need to do your research. Someone could get seriously ill and then they have the opportunity to sue you.

Please read some info on preservatives there is lots of good info out there.

Ann

Angelique, I"m no expert at all, just getting going on this B&B stuff, but I think you are getting ahead of yourself.

There is a ton of research you need to do, and this board is really only a good starting point. The folks here can help you FIND the information to read but you really need to do a lot of work before you start passing stuff out.

Every product has different requirements, based on the ingredients and the conditions it might face. Like products that contain more oil need a different preservative than those that are mostly water. You cannot just use anything. Also, you need to add the correct amount - too much can irritate the skin, too little won't do the job.

It is a lot of fun to make this stuff, and if you just make it for yourself and use it quickly you don't have much to worry about, but when you start sharing it you can run into a lot of trouble. In fact, most of the folks here actually have INSURANCE just in case....