FO Load of 2281

What is the FO load of this wax? I received a sample slab from CandleScience yesterday and poured four different testers, at 7.5%. I woke up today and there were BIG puddles of FO at the top of the candle. I asssumed it would hold this amount, since Candle Science indicates it can hold up to 9%......it can't. The temperature in here is about 71 degrees and I've never had THIS bad before. It was REALLY bad.

2281 is a paraffin scale wax. This means it may contain up to 1.5% oil by itself (fully refined paraffin is typically a max of 0.5%). The higher oil content will limit the wax's ability to suspend additional oils. You would be lucky for it to hold more than 5% on a consistent basis (w/o additives). Even fully refined paraffins have trouble with over 6% (w/o additives). Unless you need the low melt point of this wax, you might have better luck with a fully refined wax or add some vybar or microcrystalline wax. Hope that helps.

Brad - bford@clarussp.com

www.claruswax.com

Definately does help. I just wish that I had known this prior to pouring these four testers. I will call Dan at Candlescience and ask him why on his site it says that it holds up to 9%. I poured four different FO's, and, all four were a disastrous puddle at the top.

I made some containers using Astor Q, and there were some lil drops of oil on the top the next day. I just used a paper towel and soaked them up and then burned it, did fine for me. The wax is pushing out all of the oil that it cant hold so if you just let it have a few days to do that, and wipe it really good, you should be ok to test it. But in the future, you know not to use that much FO. HTH

CandleCouture- Aside from the puddles on top, if you can get past that, how does the wax look? Is it mottled/rustic looking? Maybe you will get a better idea of the appearance after you melt it down and give it another go. I've been thinking of trying 2281 so I'm interested in your opinion on this. Will you try additives when you melt it down or just add some wax to dilute the FO? icon7.gif

I don't even own any additives, to be honest. I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble of melting down and adding more wax. Might just dab the puddled FO off the top in a few days as someone suggested in this thread.

As for the look...depends on what you like. It's mottled/rustic looking for sure. Definately not creamy looking. It's really whatever you like, but, we'll see how it throws and burns in a few days.

Hello All,

First things first - CandleCouture, I am really sorry that you had trouble with the 2281. The fragrance load information that we posted was from the manufacturer and was not correct. We have done testing over the past day and found that 5% is the max. (especially in the heat - i.e the south, the summer months, or both) We've updated our site accordingly, and found that we had done our own testing for the other waxes - so this won't happen again. Please PM/email me & we'll make sure that we offer you something on your next order for your trouble.

This is our first post to the boards (we've been keeping an eye on them to make sure that our customers are happy!). I wanted to thank this great community for all the help and suggestions you all provide. I can assure you that we read lots of what is said here, and use it as a daily check that we are running our business based on what our customers want and deserve. Please feel free to post or email me personally (djs@candlescience.com) about things that we can do make life easier for candlemakers!

Again, thanks for all your support & Happy Candlemaking!:wink2:

Dan Swimm

Candle Science

There is no need to apologize. The fact that you took the time to test, then come on here and apologize, speaks VOLUMES of the type of operation you folks are running.

Suppliers, take note. This is what good customer service is about. This is how you rectify a mistake. This is what supplier should strive for.