Marketing Question

NancyJo

I am trying to branch out into wholesale accounts and was wondering if anyone has tried this.

Without spending a lot of money, I wanted to send an intro letter with a brochure and within the letter stating something to the effect of: For $20.00 including shipping, I will send you a sample pack of product and the $20.00 will be deducted on your first order over $40.00.

Is that tacky? My reasoning behind this is I don't want to spend a fortune in packaging and shipping sending samples to stores who are not interested but at the same time, I do not want the skanks requesting samples who are not interested at all but just want something for free.

I suck at marketing so any comments are greatly appreciated!!!

That is a good idea..however I would read the wholesale tips be have on the board..I have done wholesale and you make very little unless you ask for quanity orders..like packs of 12 or a min $$ amount of an order. $40 seem extremely low to me for a wholesale order.

Do not cut yourself short. Trust me..I have learned from this experience I took alot of time to create wholesale products and got very little out of it...some repeat customers but that is becuase I was Low priced and low quanity..and totally NOT worth it.

I revamped my wholesale recently after a few requests and my min order is $100 and all my stuff is in case packs of 12 excpet my foot collection and that is because it only comes in one scent..the others they can choose 2 scents per case on B&B and 3 for candles.

Make sure you have good POLICIES info page to send them as well.

I do like the sample pack for $20 idea..but I would up your min order amount. ..and you don't necessarily have to give that money back..I have ordered from many companies when I had my store..and I had to pay for samples. Period..did not get the money back...and I still ordered from them as long as their customer service was good.

I do like the sample pack for $20 idea..but I would up your min order amount. ..and you don't necessarily have to give that money back..I have ordered from many companies when I had my store..and I had to pay for samples. Period..did not get the money back...and I still ordered from them as long as their customer service was good.

I've seen places where they credit you the difference between retail and wholesale from the initial sample order when they make their first wholesale order. So they would get some money back but not the full $20.

Rachel, thanks for the info. I have not finalized my wholesale stragedy(sp?) yet, I was trying to find a price for places that maybe didn't want to carry a whole line of candles, maybe just have some at a counter for impulse buys.

I was also thinking I would give perks to orders over, say $100 such as free shipping maybe.

I have no problem crediting back the money they paid for the sample, like I said, just didn't want people getting free stuff and never hearing from them again. I feel you have to give something to get something and if they actually ordered a sample package, a credit back to them on the first order may just be enough to be a consistent customer.

Thank you guys for your suggestions and will welcome others

Another reason to set your minimum wholesale order higher is to command a presence in the store. Like, if you had 10 candles and 4 lotions of 4 different scents, it looks like leftovers. If you have 100 candles 10 of each scent and 40 lotions in 10 of each set, it makes people stop and go "hey, what's this?" and looks more professional.

What Bunny said is correct, our min was $50 when we started you we easily seen those customers fade away. Thoses spending a larger dollar amount continued selling more. Now You don't wan tan absurbe amout like $1000, or they'll basically laugh you off. I think offering them a sample is a good start, but could be expensive if you ship them. Not everyone is looking to buy a new candle line.

Another thought is don't wait to send them in the fall. Most stores have their buying done for the rest of the year by July.

Watch you free shipping...if they order $100 and live in tim buck too...It can easily be $20-25 for shipping...which doesn't leave much in your pocket.

OH no don't do free shipping..ugh.. that would eat away the profits like nobodys biz.

People who order wholesale know the in's & out's of it..they expect a min order and know they are going to pay shipping.

I agree with what Bunny said as well..you have to let them know you are not just a fly by night biz owner..and that you will be here later and have stuff in other stores.. I would set some rules on your stuff or it will get lost in the shuffle and not get repeat orders..That is why the big dogs offer fixtures with their stuff..to keep it together and comand presense..ie; Yankme, Lincoln, R**t etc.

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. You have given me things to think about in formulating my business plan.

You are all so generous sharing your ideas with me, I really appreciate all the time your have taken!