Testing Results - Bug Repellant

I made up a batch of the Garden Eastward EO Bug Buster with cyclomethicone ratio 1:5 and tested it in the mosquito state this weekend (Minnesota). Worked GREAT until right at sundown. It's been my experience that straight DEET couldn't keep them off you during that period. The family liked it because it didn't have a heavy chemical smell.

I found using the Bug Buster or any EO's against skeeters, etc. you need to respray periodically using it your way. I find it works much better adding a few drops of Catnip EO to the blend and using it in a lotion or lotion bar seems to keep it active much longer than the cyclo. Don't know why, but I've been using it for 5 years now and these are just my observations!! :cool2:

EOU carries it also..

Yep EOU (essentialoils.org) has it for $15.00 an ounce and you only need a few drops added........it stinks, but works great and worth every penny!! Added to the Bug Buster EO blend and it keeps even the bitey black flys away!! :cool2:

Hey Chris, how the heck are you? :yay:

How many drops of catnip are you adding to 8 oz of lotion, or are you adding it directly to your BB blend. I think I have a 4 oz bottle of the BB, so do you think around 1/4 tsp of catnip would be to much to add into that? I sure don't want to go over board with it, I gag everytime I smell that catnip EO, but on the other hand I want enough in it to be effective.

I have a full pound of bug buster blend that I bought last year and never got around to doing anything with so I'm glad this thread popped up. Is it effective in cp soap at all? I'd love to develop a full line of bug away stuff including soap, lotion bars etc... anyone have recipes involving shea? (since I have 10# coming to me LOL!)

Oh and if anyone has 1/4oz of catnip eo to spare I'd love to try some!!