Pouring Temp for Tarts and Pouring Pot Troubles

Hi everyone. I've never made a regular candle but I make tarts all the time. I'm having trouble with pouring the wax into the tart molds. I have a 1pd pouring pot (I never make more than 1 pound at a time) and when I do 1/2 pound of wax it pours just fine with little mess. But when I melt a whole pound, the wax spills all over the place (runs down the side of the pot) when I try to pour it into the molds.

Am I pouring it too hot or is my pouring pot just defective or am I just doing it wrong? Usually I heat the wax up to 180 and then add the fragrance at 175 and pour right after. Should I wait longer? I don't know.

Thanks for any advice!

I agree with you both and would love a solution to this problem also if anyone out there has one. I am usually OK if I do 1lb batches or smaller but when doing a bunch of one scent then it is a pain.

I had the same problem too. The spout on the pour pots are not narrow enough to do a slow even pour when you have a pound of wax or more in it. I didn't want to experiment with the spouts on my good pour pots so I got cheap little aluminum pots in the hispanic cookware section of Walmart and modified a couple of pots by creating my own spout. Actually, my husband did it...he took a small round pour pot used to melt chocolate I think, and with pliers created a spout for it. It's nice and narrow enough to pour a thin line of wax with little mess. Of course you have to pour it slowly and at the right angle, but it works great for me.

For small batches of tarts, I found the small glass Visions saucepan with a pouring lip worked great. Gets a little heavy for the wrist if you're just using one hand, but I was able to use it with excellent results. No spilling if you have a steady hand and a keen eye on when to STOP filling that tart mold. LOL ;)

Edited to add: I also found this pan easier to use than a regular pouring pot because my thermometers don't reach the bottom of a standard pour pot when there's only a small amount of wax in there, say, a pound or less. So the Visions saucepan allowed me to use my thermometer. I'm somewhat anal about pouring temps, so this was a good bonus. :)

Go to WalMart and buy an $8.00 coffee caraffe. The glass kind that is a replacement for Mr Coffee or Blk & Decker, etc. We have been using glass coffee pots for over 4 yrs & have probably poured 10,000 tarts. When you are through, turn it over on newspaper in a 180 degree oven and then wipe it out. Works GREAT!

Go to WalMart and buy an $8.00 coffee caraffe. The glass kind that is a replacement for Mr Coffee or Blk & Decker, etc. We have been using glass coffee pots for over 4 yrs & have probably poured 10,000 tarts. When you are through, turn it over on newspaper in a 180 degree oven and then wipe it out. Works GREAT!

Better yet go to a thrift store and buy them for .50 The coffee pots are great for votives also.

at wal mart in the camping dept you can find small coffee pots that don't use electricity they work great or as Sheila suggested at thrift stores "cheap" , but the carraffe is agreat idea also , gotta try that , thanks bug and Sheila