Beeswax coated wicks

Does anyone know where these would be available in lots of 100? I hate to have to buy more and find they don't work as well. I have some RRD 40's that are coated and they burn very nicely. Need a larger size, but haven't been able to find them. If not, do any of you make your own wicks? Hope someone has the answer! Thanks again. Beth

Hi Beth,

I know this doesn't 100% answer your needs, but Candlewic makes custom wick assemblies with any type of wick and a choice of 4 different wax coatings, including beeswax. The price per wick is very reasonable considering the custom work and flexibility. However, you have to buy at least 500. I plugged in 500 RRD 40 6" with beeswax coating and standard 15mm bases and it was $28.

Hi. I did look at Candlewic and didn't get to the part of how much they would cost. Actually that is very reasonable, but 500 when I have so many others already! I may end up trying the RRD 50's just to see. Candlesoylutions is where I got the ones I have, and I did just email them and haven't heard back yet. I just don't think they are now, as they don't mention it. I had also thought of trying to do my own, but I'm not sure about how to prime them. Can't be too hard. I guess you just soak the wick in the melted wax and lay it straight to dry. May have to find out about temperature and time. My candles are getting a bit better, so, maybe I'm just crazy! :cheesy2: Thanks again for the help. Beth

Hi. I did look at Candlewic and didn't get to the part of how much they would cost. Actually that is very reasonable, but 500 when I have so many others already! I may end up trying the RRD 50's just to see. Candlesoylutions is where I got the ones I have, and I did just email them and haven't heard back yet. I just don't think they are now, as they don't mention it. I had also thought of trying to do my own, but I'm not sure about how to prime them. Can't be too hard. I guess you just soak the wick in the melted wax and lay it straight to dry. May have to find out about temperature and time. My candles are getting a bit better, so, maybe I'm just crazy! :cheesy2: Thanks again for the help. Beth
I personally don't get into priming my own wicks (life is too short) but you can absolutely do it. Just leave them in hot wax for a while, and swish around a bit to get the bubbles out, then stretch them taut and hang them on something. My suspicion about the Candlesoylutions wicks is that they're now simply coated with vegetable wax. Not a bad thing, and it might even have similar burn properties, but who knows.

It's not hard to do your own. Just melt the wax, dip the wick in, pull it out, and let it cool. You can do alot at one time then just cut what you need as you go. I think you save a lot of money buying wicks unprimed, by the spool. It is only $8 or $9 for a spool of LX wicks - you get like 500 or more feet. That is a lot of candles.

If you are doing pillars, you may not need to prime them. I stopped priming for my pillars a long time ago and I haven't noticed a difference. I figure the wax gets soaked into the wick as it cools anyway, so it has wax on it in the end. This has saved me alot of time. I stopped priming because I noticed many pillars I saw in stores didn't do it. So I tried it.

You're right, but it depends on the way you make your candles. I use seamless aluminum molds and wick pins, so I need primed wick assemblies with bases. Just don't wanna get into making those from scratch. :smiley2: If you wick your pillar molds, spooled wicking is probably the way to go.