• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what is says on their website regarding their fragrance oils and their wax:

Pure Fragrance

We design our fragrance blends in-house using only the finest in perfume and essential oils... with no petroleum fillers or dilution oils. This gives a solid fragrance blend that is very clean and pure for your senses. Our blends are extremely intricate, often with fragrance notes 30 to over 100 deep, equal to that of a fine parfum.

Pure Wax

We choose to use a 100% natural, all vegetable SOY wax, made from soybeans farmed in the USA. er'goSOY wax is so pure that it could be eaten and we have, without fragrance of course! Basically, it is a solid form of soybean oil made without any petroleum by-products or color dyes. What this means to you is a CLEAN BURNING candle with very little soot!

Like I said previously, I know they used to test CD wicks. That is of course if their pictures were accurate. They had CD written on the side in a sharpie along with various sizes.

I will say I hope I am remembering the company. It was a soy based one out of the Dallas area that made it really big with the exact same packaging/containers/etc. I am 90% sure it is ergo's site that I remember seeing. Of course sometimes I cannot remember my own name, so don't bet the house on it.

Yup, that was them.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1854

After reading this thread, I had to look @ er'go's website. Oh my :shocked2: , you guys forgot to mention their has got to be 14k gold flakes in them candles :D . I couldn't believe a 7oz. candle cost $20.00. But I am from a little hick town and I always thought a 20 oz. Home Interior candle cost too much. :embarasse

I agree with the others that it's entirely possible to get great throw from a 100% soy/veg candle. Agreed about Blueberry Muffins and Creme Brulee -- mine have killer throw too. Also my Mango & Coconut will fill a room, and Mountain Lake and Wildberry Crisp will drive you outta the room. LOL Not all my soy fragrances are barn burners, but plenty of them are. ;)

Of note is that they use a "food grade soy wax." So, that should, possibly, give us insight into what wax they use. I'm guessing it's a 100% soy (like the GB 415). Now, which of the 100% soys are "food grade"? Does anyone know?
In the case of GB, all of them -- so this info may not narrow it down much. I'm not sure it really would help very much to know.

I don't think I've ever seen a manufacturer claim their soy wax is edible, except in the case of GB where the 100% soy is straight shortening from their food production.

Some of it might be edible but they don't say so.

So, who's our official soy wax taste-tester going to be? My vote's for you, Top ;)

Did they switch to 415? Because I remember a thread a long time ago here that when Ergo did facility tours and there were pictures the wax was C1 by Cargill. I've also been told by a supplier who I shall not name that they knew they used C1, and they do a two-pour.

That's interesting because, from what I understand that wax is 20% stearic, 80% pure soy and they claim that their wax is edible, without the fragrance.
You eat a form of stearic all the time as a triglyceride. It's the solid component of fat and is also created in the process of hydrogenating oils. Refining this "stearine" for candlemaking was one of the first innovations over tallow candles.

Stearic as a "free fatty acid" (without the glycerin) is also added to candle blends, both vegetable and petroleum based. That's the stearic acid we buy. I suppose that should be edible too, but I wouldn't try it unless someone gave me...hmmm...at least 20 bucks.

I just looked up an MSDS for stearic acid. It says:

Large oral doses may cause irritation to the gastrointestinal tract. Ingestion

may cause intestinal obstruction.

They don't give any hint what "large" means. Intestinal obstruction doesn't sound good. On the other hand it doesn't sound much worse than McDonalds, or at least White Castle. I think half a teaspoon for 20 bucks should be safe.

You eat a form of stearic all the time as a triglyceride. It's the solid component of fat and is also created in the process of hydrogenating oils. Refining this "stearine" for candlemaking was one of the first innovations over tallow candles.

Stearic as a "free fatty acid" (without the glycerin) is also added to candle blends, both vegetable and petroleum based. That's the stearic acid we buy. I suppose that should be edible too, but I wouldn't try it unless someone gave me...hmmm...at least 20 bucks.

I just looked up an MSDS for stearic acid. It says:

Large oral doses may cause irritation to the gastrointestinal tract. Ingestion

may cause intestinal obstruction.

They don't give any hint what "large" means. Intestinal obstruction doesn't sound good. On the other hand it doesn't sound much worse than McDonalds, or at least White Castle. I think half a teaspoon for 20 bucks should be safe.

Oh, I've definitely got $20 for this. Deal? :highfive:

• 3 weeks later...

Received a free sample from Ergo of their 7.5 ounce frosted tumbler, in their highest end line. According to the sales rep, it was the line which had the highest concentration of fragrance oil. I let her choose which sample she was going to send, and, she sent me a Zoysia candle in that line. I could smell absolutely nothing, even when I placed this candle in a small bedroom.

I'm guessing I got a dud, although, when given the choice, I'm not sure why a sales rep for the company would have sent this particular scent (given that it probably isn't their best throwing scent). For this price, however, ALL of their scents had better throw pretty darned well, and, at the very least I can say that the candle I received was horrendous in terms of throw, and, was horrendously over-wicked, with what looked to be an enormous HTP wick, in a relatively small tumbler.