Someone teach me!!

I will pay someone both my arms and one leg to tell me how to use Adobe Photoshop 7.0. I wanna use it to improve my pics for my brochures but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to use it. Ive played and played and cant do anything with it. If you can just gimme the basics I would love you forever (and I'll send you a FREE candle :) ) HAHA

PAAAA-LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE!

Dana

Did you get Image Ready with that? I'm not sure if it's a separate purchase or if it comes with Photoshop, but it does a lot of the same things you need but is a lot simpler. Adjusting levels, contrast, gamma, saturation, resizing. That's about all I do, though, I don't do anything fancy.

One of the best self-teaching books for the Adobe products is 'classroom in a book'. comes with a cd with training files. truly great!

you can get it at most bookstores (Barnes & Noble, etc)

Do you have high quality photos to begin with? If so Photoshop can help. If not, it might not help you.

Is this for print or internet?

If its print you will want to make the photo CMYK and if for internet you will want to make it RGB. Go to the tab Image-Mode and change the format to the appropriate one.

Now if the colors need adjusting go to tab Image-Adjustments-Levels and adjust the overall color or change to a specific channel and add or subtract just that color.

That should get you some better looking photos. Go to Save As and save as one of many file formats. JPEGS or GIFS for internet, EPS or Tiff for print.

Photoshop is SO complex and there are SO many creative things you can do with graphics with it. No one is really an expert at it. The only real way to learn Photoshop is to play with it and experiment.

HTH

Did you get Image Ready with that? I'm not sure if it's a separate purchase or if it comes with Photoshop, but it does a lot of the same things you need but is a lot simpler. Adjusting levels, contrast, gamma, saturation, resizing. That's about all I do, though, I don't do anything fancy.

It did come with Image Ready but I dont use it..Ive just been playing with photoshop for miles and I cannot figure it out! I figured out PowerPoint in 2 days but Photoshop...Uhhh, thats a different story. I dont know why its so complicated. Definately not user friendly.

Image Ready is so easy. All I do to my photos is:

Adjust Auto Levels.

Adjust Auto contrast.

Adjust Hue/Saturation - saturation to 20.

Adjust Gamma - Mac to Windows.

Adjust Image Size - change the width.

Optimize Menu - change from High to Medium. Save optimized as....

Photoshop can do *so* much - any time you get a pro program like that it's going to have so many features. There's a tutorial on some pieces of it that is kind of helpful http://www.theswitchboards.com/articles_professionalphotos.html

I can't get it to come up at the moment, but I think it's still there.

Phostoshop is SUCH an awesome product but very intimidating as well. Heck, I know how to do a lot with it, but feel like I have only scratched the surface.

I used the Sans 24 hour series. The books are broken into 24 one hour lessons/chapters. It was great for me - the way I like to learn. Check half.com. Since you have an older version of Photoshop, I bet you can get an inexpensive copy.

Another thing I did was keep an eye on their website under the training area:

http://www.adobe.com/training/

They have lots of on line training classes, and other items of interest. Also, they occasionally will travel around and give free seminars or ones that are pretty cheap. I went to a Photoshop "tour" which was free. (Wait, thinking - it was either free or only like $50. If there was a cost it was minimal) I learned so much and got a lot of cool freebies and ideas.