Opinions please!!??

My husband and I are have a yard sale this weekend and he thinks that I should put out my candles. I don't think people will be interested. Most people that go garage saling want a deal and I am not willing to sell a jar candle for $1. But I might be willing to give it a try. So what do you all think? Would you do this? Have you done this?

TIA

Dawn

I have. Cleared out a ton of inventory too...

Just make sure you list Garage Sale and CRAFTS. Do not undersell your stuff either. If you just want to get rid of last season's scents at a discounted price, only put those out. If you want to sell this season's...then just put those out. Don't mix the two...especially at a garage sale.

1 big thing; make sure your candles are slightly apart from the garage sale items. Visually make a seperation, people will get the hint and not try to talk you down on a candle sale.

HTH, good luck!

With some areas it works to target a section as "Gifts". We used to have a section at the side of our yard sale with a big sign "Need a gift?" Put our handmade b&b stuff in baskets and have the lil neighbor girl gift wrap it if requested (the bags & tissue at big lots are great for this) A lot of people would stop and remember that they need a birthday gift for so-n-so later that weekend and buy the baskets. I used to put slow moving products in there and it always went over well.

I think it does depend on so many things. I tried putting my candles out when we had a garage sale last spring and I had a lot of people looking - but not a single sale. I had people tell me I should try selling at the market too.

I am a garage-sale-aholic and I do agree that a lot of people who go garage saling are looking for a great deal - and may not be willing to spend that extra money for something special.

Just my two cents worth - who knows, you may do really well with it!! And, unless you just don't have the space to set them out, you aren't really losing anything by trying.

carey

Guest EMercier

I was just thinking about doing the same thing. BUT, I was going to set up at a flea market. I was going to take stuff out of my house and set up a small table for my candles that I made that I want to get rid of. I was going to discount them. They are my 8 oz JJ. I normally sell them for $5 and was going to discount them to $2. I just need to get rid of them!

A lot of people who go garage saling (is that a word?) around here like to load up on stuff for cheap and then they turn around and go to the flea market and sell it there for more. That is why I wasn't sure of selling my things too.