Adding things to MP bases

lindsaycb

I've really only done CP, but I'm going to add on a few loaves of MP here in the near future. My question is...

If I had things to my soap, like cocoa butter or salt...or sugar...or or or... how do you really know where to place it in the ingredients list?

I add stuff to M&P all the time, but I don't sell it so I've never really considered where to place my added ingredients into the ingredients list. Very good question. Hopefully someone will pipe in with a good answer.

*ps* If you add a big pinch of shea butter and a big pinch of foaming bath butter to a 2lb M&P batch it turns out really nice!*

Grab some food from your cupboard and the answer will be clear.... (they list the bigger components and then in parens the ingredients that make them up. )

For example - Cheez-It Crackers

Ingredients: Enriched Flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron....), vegetable oil (canola, cottonseed, palm.....), cheddar cheese (milk, cheese cultures, salt enzymes)....

Makes sense to me!

Yep, I understand the listing of ingredients...but I don't have the percentages of the soap...so if I add in ground shea butter at 5%, where do I insert it into the ingredients of the MP soap. I can't just stick it at the end when clearly there's probably a few other ingredients that are 5% and lower. Make sense?

If you're buying direct from the manufacturer, like SFIC, you might contact them and see if they can help you with your issue. I doubt that they will give you any percentages of the ingredients they use, but if you tell them what weights you intend on using, they might be able to tell you where it should go on the new ingredient listing.

I asked them for their ingredients before and they tried to give me a generic listing, by saying something like " all of the bases are all the same, except for goat's milk, honey, oatmeal, aloe vera...Just add them to the list, usually just above water."

After I received their response I informed them that some of their soaps claim to have 25% glycerine added, 5% hemp oil added, 10% goat's milk added, and that I had no way to determine where any of that should be listed, and did not think that I should GUESS whether it came before or after water in their recipe.

They quickly sent me an exact sequence of their ingredients.