Need tips for new candlemaking room...

Hey guys & gals,

Back on April 2nd, we had the misfortune of a tornado doing major damage to our home & destroying 2 farm shops. On the bright side of things, we survived and are in the process of finishing repairs to home. Next week, a contractor is going to start on our new farm shop.

My hubby is adding a new room onto his new shop for my candlemaking! confetti.gif It will be approx. a 15 x 20 room. I was wondering if any of you would be willing to share a few tips on what works for you in your own work areas. imnotworthy.gif I am trying to figure out counter space, cabinets, sink, what size water heater, etc. If I had a few tips, I could incorporate them into my own room to help with organization. Thanks in advance! thumb.gif

Beverly S wave.gif

oh how I dream of having my own room--not having to gather and schlep all the stuff I need into the kitchen everytime I need to pour!! lol

I think for a room like that to work you have to take into consideration what it is that you are doing the most. for example...I do soy containers the most--so a sink is a must for me, double sink would be better. tons and tons of counter space for cooling, the under storage for keeping supplies. maybe a built-in bookcase style shelving unit for storing finished product. electrical outlets out the wazoo for all the presto pots/melters and heatguns. maybe an area dedicated to labeling/decorating--with some shelves above the counter for new label sheets/ribbon etc. a closet would be a nice addition to be sectioned off...so you could store your FO's out of the sunlight--so of course you need tons of shelves in it ;) I would think you could get away with just tying into the existing water heater--but if there isn't one you shouldn't need a large one, you're only using it for cleanup, no?

hmm...now I'm having dreams about being able to do that myself someday:drool: congrats to you for having such an awesome hubby!!:yay: :yay: :yay:

amieelynne,

thanks for the reply. There is no water heater nearby for me to tie into. Yes, it is for cleanup only. You know how it is... I have always dreamed of a room of my own. I about fell out when my hubby told me that he was doing this for me! I sort of know somethings that I definately want. But I knew that other candlemakers with work areas would have ideas also; especially things that they would do differently.

Thanks for the reply,

Beverly S

i would like shelves that was the right size for 16 oz bottles and a row for samples witch ever size you use i use 4 oz sample bottle.that seems to be my biggest space grip right now.if you put your scents in a regular shelf your bigging for the right scent all the time. but lots and lots of shelves and counter top room.i would think a small water heater would be good enough. i do not use that much hot water.if you make candles a shelf big enough for cases of wax.

In my shop space is a huge factor! Some days we have 5 people working (fall), at least 3 everyday now. I found that bakers racks (in the picture) are awsome. We have 600 votive molds --all on trays. Each tray has enough molds to make 3 boxes of votives, which is a batch for us. Other bakers racks hold silicone molds, or pillar molds. When you pour pillars, you can just rack them, and get them out of the way! We have 3 benches that are very long, and 2 are set to a comfy height for me, and the other one is a comfy height for the other girls (I'm 5`9" and they are 5`1" and 5`3" ish) The bench height really is important for your back, shoulders and arms.

We cover the floor in cardboard, and they replace it as needed. Saves time. Also adds cushion and saves your legs a bit from fatigue. I have anti fatigue mats in prime spots too--they are great. Anything to save your body!! If you tired-your more likely to make mistakes or have an accident. Benches are covered in butchers freezer paper (the stuff you get your meat in), wax just flakes off, and it's replaced as needed. It's really cheap too--like $20 for 2000' roll.

We use these cabinets you get at the hardware store for screws and stuff, and they are labeled with the dye chips, and another cabinet with labels. The cabinets have little pull out drawers--they are AWSOME!! You can put wicks in them too--anything. They are cheap. I think you can see one in the picture, it's black. We have 2 big melters, but we use presto pots for embeds and pillars. I have spigots on the presto's, and had a coffee table (yard sale find) mounted to the wall, and the presto's sit up. This way I have room under the presto's, and it's a perfect height to hold a pitcher under.

Designated area's are great. We have a small wicking table, and all the wicking happens here. A label area, and so on. Keeps things organized, and you always know where everything is.

We had a small shelves (2x4's I think) put up on the walls, and the oils are on it--in alp order! Makes life easy!...

Our stock room is in alp order as well, again easy to find what your looking for. We have a cart, and roll it up and down the aisles, to pick orders, and we can do it pretty fast now. I attached the jar/votive area.

That's all I can think of right now... I hope some of this helps :)

post-634-139458401877_thumb.gif

post-634-13945840188_thumb.gif

post-634-139458401882_thumb.gif

One of the best things I have in my shop are the wire metal shelving units on wheels - they can be rolled around to make different configurations. (got them at Sam's Club) - Have been in the shop 5 years now & find my needs have changed as I've added/deleted products, so anything flexible in best for the long run.

Another thought - if you're going to have customers in the shop, you may want to set aside a small display space - hopefully in an area where they can't see all the "workings"

I keep my fo's in metal cabinets - protects them from light, and keeps the fire department happier.

As far as water heater, my 5 gallon has been more than sufficient.

My whole basement is my candle making center. I have cheap bookshelves along one wall for some supplies and such. Instead of counters, which can get exspensive, try making a "POUR TABLE" from a 4x8 sheet of good plywood and three saw horses. I have two pour tables and each can hold 200+ jars on each table for pouring. Don't make it fancy because it's more to keep clean. Have tones of outlets on the wall where you will be melting wax and DO install a special large outlet NOW incase you get a large melter later.

Don't go high tech or fancy. Keep it very simple. Get rolling shelving you can store under the pour tables and things like that.

Counter and cabinets are fine but they will cost and a pour table is cheaper and will hold a great deal more.

Fire:cool2:

Thank you all for the replies! :yay: It is very appreciated. Now, I have all sorts of ideas to incorporate! :drool:

Crafty, thanks so much for sharing the pics! You have an awesome shop. Maybe some day I'll get to visit Canada and I can stop by your shop.

Thanks again for sharing everyone,

Beverly :bow:

Tennessee