earth candle??

I have a friend who is a high school science teacher. He was wondering if there was a way to demonstrate the layers of the earth using candles.

what I am picturing is starting with a small ball of wax with a wick in it for something to hold on to. then dipping it in different colors for each layer. I dont usually make candles like this and was wondering if anybody has any better ideas or if this would even work?

I think he wants the kids to actually make their own in class as a project...and for me to come in and demonstrate.

is there a certain type of wax that I need to use? the wax I have is 1343 and also 4786 for containers.

any feed back on this would be great!!

How about just doing a layered container, with different colors for the different parts? More like a cross section - orange for the molten interior, then different shades of brown maybe, then green and blue for the top..

The ball would be pretty though when it was burning..

I like that first idea. Container wax would be too soft, but 1343 would work well if you add vybar to make the layers opaque and show up better.

It would take a lot of dipping, but after you're done you could use a saw to cut open the ball and it would look like this:

post-381-139458377747_thumb.gif

I like the idea that scented had.... doing the layering backwards. I think that would work. I believe the teacher wants to be able to cut it open to expose the layers so that would work but I am wondering how to make it hands on for the whole class. I think thats something else he wanted to do.

I will talk to him again and give him these ideas and see what he thinks. Thank you for your replies and I'm sure I'll be asking more about this later.