Experiment - Wood Wick Candle (with Skeurs) UPDATE (CRAPPY UPDATE)

Darwin

I saw antother thread somewhere, and someone had used a popcicle stick as a wooden wick. I decided to use wooden kabob skeurs instead. Since they are smaller than a popcicile stick in diameter, and I am making my candle in a jar that is nearly 3 in Wide I chose to use 2 sticks. Here are some pics of my process. The candle is still cooling, once it is done I will post some pics of it buring. It is scented Peaks Mulberry.

First I used some wick tabs and pinched them onto the pointy end of the skeurs:

woodtabs

Then I used my hot glue gun to glue them into the jar:

glued2

Then I filled the jar with wax. The wicks did come a bit loose (I must have poured a bit to hot). So I used another stick and my wax knife to hold them in place:

cooling

I will post a pic of the candle once it is done cooling and then I will post it buring when I test it.

I did cut the "wicks"; they cut very easily with a wire cutter. However, I should have cut them down before I put them in the jar. This is a note for next time, I guess. Here it is with the "wicks" trimmed. It is still warm and not ready to burn yet. I might try burning it later today or tonight; but, I know I should wait until tomorrow for the best results.

trimmed

If you don't mind, please explain to me why you would do this. It's not like you can remove the sticks & then insert a wick into the metal piece since it's already been crimped; so it's not like a wick pin for a container. Or is it?

If you don't mind, please explain to me why you would do this. It's not like you can remove the sticks & then insert a wick into the metal piece since it's already been crimped; so it's not like a wick pin for a container. Or is it?

Yeah, just like Lindsay said, the stick will actually be the wick. I am going to burn it this evening if I get time!

Ok so, this candle totally will not stay lit. I think maybe if I prime the sticks in wax or put them closer together they may stay lit...perhaps the skeurs are not meant to catch fire, since they are made for cooking on a grill. Well this candle is crap, it will not light at all, so there is not even a pic to post, because it will not light for more than a couple seconds! Any ideas?

I tried to take a pic anyway...here it is!

crappycandle.jpg

LMAO......you sound like me....you just have to try. I respect that. I also respect the fact that you have the courage to post your experiment gone bad. That's what life is all about.....experimenting...and learning new and better things....that's my take on it anyway. Thanks for doing this. I love it. Donita

LMAO......you sound like me....you just have to try. I respect that. I also respect the fact that you have the courage to post your experiment gone bad. That's what life is all about.....experimenting...and learning new and better things....that's my take on it anyway. Thanks for doing this. I love it. Donita

Thanks for your words Donita! I am ust so frustrated...I do not understand why they will not light! I just don't get it! LOL:mad: Why won't those babies light up for me!

I think that is kinda funny....because you know that if you use them on the grill to cook some food, they will catch on fire if you don't soak them in water. I guess they should be soaked in hot wax. It's wood. It should burn even if badly....I would leave them in wax for awhile...that would also get air out. Hmmmmmmmm just thinking my usual random thoughts....I think they eventually put people like me into asylums. Donita

Hmm, Donita...you may be on to something, the next time I try this I will literally soak the sticks in melted wax!! My bf suggested soaking them in fo - but that may be a little too flamable..I dunno!

• 1 month later...

Great! Thanks for trying that. I loved the idea of using wire cutters to cut the....wick. Never thought of that. I have been racking my brain looking for the right kind of.."wood" wick to use.

I have had moderate success with popsicle sticks. Well, some burn great, even crackle.....others...well, they look kinda like your burning pics. Not uniform wood<grrr>

I have tried skewers too....kerrrrap!

I have tried incense sticks.....just a little better than kerrrrap. They started great but drowned out way too fast--and this in a votive sized candle.

I have tried rattan reeds like they use for reed diffusers....kerrrap too!

I tried a piece of the skinniest part of a cedar shim....again, wouldnt burn hotter than that wimpy little glow.

I tried some pine veneer that we happened to have but it had glue on the back of it---maybe fire retardant or something....kerrap again!

So I growled and bought one of those damm OVC WoodWick candles off ebay. It just came by UPS yesterday so I havent tried it. The wick looks about 3/4 the width of veneer and about the same thickness.

I am thinking it might help to prime the wick with parrafin oil. So it soaks into the wood fibers. Maybe it's hardwood like mahogany or something. Now, I'm looking for some unglued hardwood veneer--or might try the cedar shim again...primed.

I just really like the wide flame..it's so pretty.While the patent on wood wicks hasnt been awarded yet and OVC is producing the only wood wicks for their own candles....

So, I'm not ready to give up.....the frustration passes dear.....lol

Thanks for sharing your ideas...will pass on mine when I get some success......See ya in the asylum:tongue2:

If it would help any of you creative people, I can post a picture of a "naked" wood wick. My DIL's mom was given a great-smelling wood wick candle, but the jar broke when burning. So she sent it to me to have me melt it down into some other containers. I was happy to do it because I wanted the wick to play with! So I have the "rescued" wick but haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet. Would it help anyone to see what the wick looks like before it's in the candle?

Jane

i wanna see!

ya know, i was watching survivorman the other day, he recommended using birch for getting a fire going because of it's high oil content..i noticed it crackled quite a bit. anyone tried it?

If it would help any of you creative people, I can post a picture of a "naked" wood wick. My DIL's mom was given a great-smelling wood wick candle, but the jar broke when burning. So she sent it to me to have me melt it down into some other containers. I was happy to do it because I wanted the wick to play with! So I have the "rescued" wick but haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet. Would it help anyone to see what the wick looks like before it's in the candle?

Jane

I have been curious about this wood wick for a couple of years...I would LOVE to see what it looks like naked!

I understand that it adds a nice wood burning smell and crackling sound to candle burning.

Searched extensively awhile back and was unable to find them.

Please, let's see 'em!

Thanks,

Fern-Marie