Wood Wick Experiment

The idea of a wood wick sounded interesting so I decided to try it myself.

I poured some J223 in a glass flower pot votve container and stuck a craft stick (popsicle stick) in the wax before it hardened. SURPRISE,SURPRISE!

IT WORKED. Here is the results:

The container diameter at the top of the wax was 2 1/4 inches.

The craft stick protruded 3/8 inch above the wax.

The stick burned with a small flame: however, to my surprise it continued to burn.

It DID NOT SMOKE, even in drafty conditions.

(Here is a rub for you zinc lovers) No mushrooms

At the end of 4 hours, I extinguished the flame.

The wood wick protruded 1/4 inch above the wax pool.

The melt pool depth was 1/2 inch.

There was a slight crackling sound: however you had to put your ear close to the container in order to hear it. If you do that, hair ignition is possible. Then you would hear the crackling sound of burning hair. LOL

The second burn continued the same as the first.

If I want to do a complete burn I will have to come uo with a way of securing the wick. I would probably epoxy the stick to a tea light cup or a regular wick tab.

That is very interesting. Maybe stick it in with hot glue? Not sure if it would stay standing, you would almost have to put it in something, to keep it from burning completely to the end of the jar.

If I want to do a complete burn I will have to come uo with a way of securing the wick. I would probably epoxy the stick to a tea light cup or a regular wick tab.
Maybe your could fold a wick tab over, like a taco. Stuff the popsicle stick filling in, then use a stick'em as a holder to keep it upright.... or something....

thats great! I want to see if there is anyone selling these wicks seperate. Something other than popsickle. I reall y like the way they look. Its very Modern and sophisticated.

definatly keep us posted. I just might try one myself this weekend.

Wish I have some wooden skrews or those ones they sell for candy apples, the round ones. Bet I threw all I had away, and I never throw anything away. Going to check right now. Did the melt pool get all the way to the sides? And how deep was it after the first burn. Love the wide burn so I'm going to check out the popsicle stick. Thanks for sharing....

I used the entire width of the stick. I just cut the length. It melted the entire width of the container and it was 1/2 inch deep at the end of 4 hours. Since the diameter of the container at the top of the wax was 2 1/4 inches, I imagine that it would also work with a container of at least 2 1/2 inches (at least with this wax and this FO) A 3 inch container may have to be double wicked.

I use bamboo skewers to stir my wax. I tried to use these as wicks also. They did not work. They smoked and stopped burning when they reached the wax.

Ha..! Sounds like you owned " the VW owner's manual for Idiots at one time in your life " Love it.. About the stick wick. Why not? Yes you can get different sized sticks. I use them to " nose test fragrances from the bottle " and I have used one in a candle. But the wick tab was the glitch. I am more inclined to try Reed wick sticks. They come in differant sizes to and when you buy them by the thousand like pretabed wicks, the price is compareable. I like this idea and I'll get back with you on this. Business is really getting busy right now. But I'll find time to do this. Search google for yoder candle co. e-mail me if you want to compare notes on waxes and wicks. It'll take some time to look back through files to find where I got the sticks and reeds.

I just tried the wood sticks. The thin as a wick stick would not get a flame on it kept going out. The other stick I am trying is a little thinner than a popsickle stick, for corn dogs. It has a very low almost nothing flame but still making a melt pool. I'm going to leave it on all night to see what happens. I have a large cup to burn candles in that even if the jar breaks the metal cup will hold the wax and contain any flame so don't worry. Want to check for a scent throw and I can't smell real good right now. Need to search some more to see if I can find some more sticks. Would love to buy some reed wicks but 100 at a time is all I could stand. Plus would like some sample sizes before I would buy any. Thanks for the update.

I just tapped my wood stick into the top of a wick tab. Right into the round neck of the tab. Standing straight as a "stick", cool. Might put a dab of silicone but try it it worked great. I tapped in the cut end, the rounded end might be too hard, maybe not. I don't have time for this but it is fun. Let me know if you try it. If you need some tabs I can send a few.