advertising question

LauraInNY

I have rental space in a country gift store near me. I do painted wood crafts in addition to some sewing and other odds and ends. I am hopeful to start adding candles when the time is right. We pay rent monthly and give a straight commission (4%), plus extra (3%) for checks or ccards . We also have to work one day/month, however from september through december we have to work two days/month. Every week we get a check for the amount of sales, minus the commission. Pretty standard I think.

Well with last weeks check, the owner enclosed a letter that states she wants to take out a full page ad in a local magazine that advertises craft shows and businesses in the region. This is all well and good, however she states that she wants each vendor to pay $15 asap to help offset the cost of the advertisement. I'm not sure if the magazine comes out quarterly or semi-annually, so I'm thinking this will be charged for each time it is printed.

What do you all think? Is this my responsibility? We have never had to pay for advertising in the past and I know it's not a lot of money, but it seems like my commission should be going towards that. I know that if I had to advertise on my own it would cost a whole lot more. Should I just put up and shut up?

I agree you are paying to put things in the store so why pay for advertising.

You work 1 or 2 times a month so that is also time spent working there.No I think I would kindly mention it to her.Tell her you think it is a good idea but don't think I will pay for the advertising.Really all the crafter may pay the whole thing and the business owner nothing?take all of crafter's money and advertising paid.

If this isn't requirement under the contract you signed with her, then you are under no obligation to contribute toward it. What she could do is place the ad and include all the vendors who contributed except for you; but I say no big whoop...as long as anyone sees the ad and is going to the store, they will still see your booth--so you basically got benefits anyway. Sweet.

FYI, in addition to my store, I also rent space in an antique mall. I pay a straight rent of $100 per month. No commission, no working there. I've never been asked to donate for advertising, and the lady that owns the place rents billboards and regularly advertises in antique publications.

Thanks for all your input. I agree that $15 is not a lot of money for advertising if my business is being specifically mentioned in an ad; however, I also think that my rent, 7% commission and donating my time up to 16 hours a month is plenty of contribution for my space. We also have the opportunity to donate a "gift of the month" with our business mentioned in the newsletter and on their website. My sales have covered my rent, but haven't been much more than that. I have only been there since March and I know this is typically the slowest time of the year. I am spending lots of money to purchase supplies for increasing the amount of items that I carry in my space and advertising is one thing I thought was covered. I will have to check my contract to see if this is mentioned. She has advertised in the past in this magazine as well as other newspapers at no additional cost to the vendors. She has specifically mentioned my business in the past in articles, however I don't believe she intends on listing each vendor in this ad. I will talk to her tomorrow and see what she says.