Ok Scented...here is one of my problem candles...

I promised to post a pic of one of the candles that's driving me crazy, and here it is. The part where the layers meet is awful. Up close, it looks like streaks of tiny air bubbles. That happens all the time on the non-rustic one's. And the rustic one's have big air bubbles. I'm not crazy about the colors in this candle, but apparently pink and green are the sorority colors of the girl that asked for it. I've been putting her off since last week because every one I make comes out awful. So...what do you think? :)

post-3284-139458401321_thumb.jpg

What temperature are you pouring each layer at? I've seen that look on the bottom of my votives before. It happens when I pour too cold.

I just went and looked at all the votives I have cooling. It was hard to tell since everything I made today is white, but I did get the bubbles on the votives I poured at 160 and the ones I poured at 170 looked better.

HTH,

Kristy

Not Scented, but it looks like the green needs to be a bit hotter. The pink part is beautiful! Try pouring just 1/8" or so of the green and let that set up a bit, then pour the rest. The 1/8" shouldn't be noticable and will allow you to pour the green a bit hotter without the colors blending.

I admire your tenacity! Don't give up.

Not Scented, but it looks like the green needs to be a bit hotter. The pink part is beautiful! Try pouring just 1/8" or so of the green and let that set up a bit, then pour the rest. The 1/8" shouldn't be noticable and will allow you to pour the green a bit hotter without the colors blending.

I admire your tenacity! Don't give up.

I do this but pour a thin layer just enough to cover the layer you are pouring over then let it set until almost cool (which doesn't take long because it's such a thin layer) then pour the rest of that color layer hot. Like stated above it does help keep colors from bleeding.

This technique is time consuming and you don't need to have any distractions when you do this, because you don't want the candle to completely cool and pull away from the sides of the mold. Also I find it best to pour in the center of the mold not the side, and don't pour to fast you don't want air bubbles.

It should be more than hot enough, but chances are that wax is cooling a little fast when it hits your mold. Maybe try this out ... pour your wax down the center. If you use a wick pin, pour down the pin. If you are prewicking, simply pour down one of the sides of the wick and see if that helps. I've gotten that stuff before and if I suspect it, I zap with the heat gun, just quick enough around where the layers meet. You could try zapping your mold just before you pour either on the outside where your wax will fill or a few seconds moved around inside. Just be patient, something will work for you to get rid of those lines.

And nothing wrong with pink and green lol! I actually like that combo ;)

Ok...here's an update on the pink and green candle. I poured it again VERY hot...about 195 degrees. That did the trick for the problem I was having where the layers meet, but now they seem to have more pinholes. I'm searching the forum today to read all the posts about those.

So thanks for the tips. I'll get this pink and green candle done eventually. :)

Ok...here's an update on the pink and green candle. I poured it again VERY hot...about 195 degrees. That did the trick for the problem I was having where the layers meet, but now they seem to have more pinholes. I'm searching the forum today to read all the posts about those.

So thanks for the tips. I'll get this pink and green candle done eventually. :)

Did you pour the whole candle at 195, or just that bottom layer?

I poured both layers at 195. I wanted to make SURE that pouring too cool was not gonna happen this time. So now maybe I went to the other extreme. The story of my life...one extreme or the other. :) So maybe I should try again at 180. (by the way, someone suggested that maybe my thermometer was off...so I tested it in boiling water. It read 215, so I have been compensating for the 3 degree difference)

I poured both layers at 195. I wanted to make SURE that pouring too cool was not gonna happen this time. So now maybe I went to the other extreme. The story of my life...one extreme or the other. :)
The skinny layers are the ones that need the higher temps. I doubt you'd get pinholes pouring the bottom layer at 195. But that big top layer is just like pouring a normal candle and you can do that at standard temps.