Candle ideas for a fundraiser

I am volunteering my time to a local animal shelter and, when I mentioned candles as a possible product to sell as a fundraiser, the head lady jumped at the idea. She suggested something that would incorporate an umbrella or a doghouse as the "shelter"...could I make umbrella or doghouse candles or something that would symbolize the idea. She so totally caught me off guard that I told her to give me a couple days to see if I could come up with something. The little logo she's using for the upcoming Silent Auction and Art Exhibit is a cartoon doghouse with a pooch happily sitting out front.

All of you always have such clever ideas that I thought I'd toss it out to this board. I'm still scratching my head over it! I had thought of possibly hurricane candles with the logo but that's about as far as I've gotten.

TIA

Sheryl-NorCal

After I hit send it occured to me that container candles would probably be a lot quicker to make and a lot easier! If I end up doing it I might drum up some business as well...you never know! I'll run the idea by her tomorrow and see what she thinks. Thanks for the tip Sharyl!

I'd do the containers and use the names of the animals (i.e., Beagle Butter Crunch, Siamese Sweet Pea, Labrabor Lavender, and of course an Odor Eliminator, etc.). I know I'd buy it as I'm a sucker for dogs. I'd use her logo on your candles (private label type thing).

Good luck!

I agree with container candles using their logo and pictures of dogs with the oh so cute scent names that Debscent suggested. You could knock out a whole lot of candles, if you do the containers, in a decent amount of time. I think what will take the longest amount of time is designing the labels. Good luck to you!

And in addition, if you can find the dog bone embeds, you could do some tarts. I like the suggestion of adding a decal to the containers and using different dogs. Only thing is though, people may favor one breed over another or there are a lot of breeds to select from to use.

Hey, thanks everyone! I'm not sure what size to make but am open for suggestions. I haven't done a lot of containers with paraffin or soy wax so I'm going to try to keep the list down to something I can test and be successful with. I've done a little lurking on other fundraising websites to see what's being offered but will do more of that today if she's still excited about the idea.

I love her logo and next to it she has "Gimme Shelter!". I don't know about using photos of dogs though because like you said Julie, people do have favorites. And, from what I saw on their website yesterday, most all of them are mixed breeds. I even thought maybe using puppy pictures could be a good hook too. I love the tart idea! Guess I'll cruise around and see if I can find a mold of some kind! Great for little gifts during the holiday season!

Sheryl

She has pictures of many dogs and cats who had to be euthanized because they were unable to find homes. So she said that we could do something like Gone But Not Forgotten. Light a candle for the ones who didn't find a home. Or something like that. I think it's a great idea...any comments?

Sheryl

I thought of that too Julie...we're still in the talking stages and can probably switch things around. But I like the idea behind it. Maybe just continue to use the "Gimme Shelter" logo with the Light a candle idea. There are several other people to run it by as well.

As always, thanks for the input! I hope I can handle this cause these animals are adopted all over the SF Bay Area with some as far away as Nevada and Washingon and Oregon!

Sheryl

Oh, love the paw print molds too! Thanks everyone for suggestions. I'd love for this to work out.

She's suggested that I make a "sampling" batch of 8 ounce container candles for a Silent Auction/Art Exhibit that they're having up here during our Pear Festival in September to gauge people's interest. She wants to just have one scent and name it Puppy Breath so now I just need to pull out some bottles from my supply and see what we can come up with there. I know we'll never come up with one scent that everyone will feel is a "must have" but I'm hoping that it can be as generally appealing as possible to generate interest.

Puppy breath...oh boy!

Sheryl

Puppy Breath??? :lipsrseal Definitely would NOT want a candle with that scent! LOL

I think this will be a great opportunity for you and LOVE the fact that you're supporting one of my FAVORITE causes! :D

I like the idea of just doing container candles with a cute "general" logo with the "gimmee shelter" tag line, and the cute names that Debscent just busted out with (you amaze me woman!! ;) ) would be sooo darn cute.

I agree that putting different breeds on them wouldn't really be appropriate since most "pound puppies and kitties" are mixed breeds, and people have their favs. So keeping in generalized with one pic./logo would be better.

I'm anxious to find out how this goes, as I'm trying to join a shelter group here as a volunteer (lots of application process to go through) and could get some ideas from YOU. :D

Good luck to you and the shelter!!

Well sounds like everyone pretty well has it covered... I like Scented's idea with the embeds in the container candles that would be cute... the decals sound wonderful... and agree the container candles would probably be a LOT easier. Let us know how it turns out and FOR SURE POST PICTURES of the finished product. :)

HUGS

Puppy breath? Hmm...not sure I'd buy that one, but one called Puppy Love (most definitely). :smiley2: Good luck, there are alot of great suggestions here, I can't wait to see your final product and how well the sales are. Keep us posted!

I like the idea of having a scent called either puppies breath or puppy love. IMO puppies still have fresh breath it just get funky as they get older ;) As for the scent to use I would blend Peaks Rose Bouquet and Baby Powder. I have blended these 2 and people like it. You get the Rose scent with the undertone of the baby powder so you get the feeling of being in a rose garden holding a sweet smelling baby (or puppy in this case) JMHO

Reese