Dealings with a mall

Has anyone done a kiosk ( sp) in the mall even for a weekend? I am finding that prices around here in VA are high , but I really have nothing to compare it to. They quoted me $ 815 for 3 day weekend. Why do I find that outrageous?

Christina

Our local mall has been trying to get me in there for as long as I can remember. The last time she called, she actually told me that she would give me the first month free - BUT you have to look at the fine print with malls.

Some of them make you give them rent, plus insurance, plus a percentage of your sales. It came out to be 35% of whatever I made per month here. It just wasn't worth it for me.

Have you looked at their contract yet? Maybe your mall is alot better with these terms than mine.

Here in Chicago area I looked at four malls. Their rent charges varied from $1300- $1800.00 per month. The percentage is "NEGOTIABLE". It starts when you do a certain dollar volume. I negotiated $15,000 per month with all which is a very good volume and one I felt comfortable I would not hit. They are "looking for vendors" and will negotiate percentage if you ask firmly. There are probably many malls in your area who will work with you. All you need to do is ask.

The contracts are for their protection and your BENEFIT. If they get theirs, you should get yours.

Ron

Well this IS something i do know about! Craft shows in a mall 75.00 to 150.00 for a 3 day weekend. If you just wanted to set up for a weekend alone, would be 250.00 maybe 300.00. If you wanted to stay the whole week, they most of the time quote you the same price since you would be a "draw" for them on the slower days of the week. Prices years ago were more based on a percent of your sales plus a weekly or monthly fee. Kansans City was always a flat fee per week about $100.00 then 10% of your sales on top of that. Due to crafters NOT reporting their TRUE sales the prices now days are based on them getting their money first. They try to figure it based on 10 to 20% of what they expect a vendor to sell. Its also based on how they think you will draw traffic to the mall. If you carve candles ect. you might get a break because you are entertaining the customers too. Bruce

While our mall fees are much more reasonable you do have to be there for ALL mall hours....9 to 9 every day but Sunday and then 12:00 to 6:00 so be sure and check that out too.

Definately see how much negotiating room you have...they won't give unless you ask/tell them. Also, how much traffic does that mall get? It could be a very good thing (or not lol) good luck!