Any C-3 Nature Wax users?

Hi Terrie,

I have made a few candles with this wax. I made a Blueberry Verbena, Mulled Cider and Country Grove -- may be forgetting one. I used 9 percent and I did not have any seeping when the candle was not burning. Now when it was burning, I did not get a straight FO seepage but I did get the normal sweating that they all tend to do (lower melting properties coming out) even if you do not put FO in it. I did not detect anything unusual. However, my candles are not sitting in the heat. They may seep if they were in a really hot room, but it could do that even with 7 percent or under.

When did you get the seeping? EDITED TO ADD -- when as in not burning in a warm/hot/nice temp room or when the candle was burning?

~Holly :smiley2:

hi Holly, someone on this board gave me a tip that has helped me alot though & I will pass it on :smiley2: !

I was adding palm stearic but it didn't help the seeping so I was told to leave out the palm stearic then to warm the FO (any fo not just the heavy ones) before adding to the wax then add to wax around 180 & stir really well (i do about 2 minutes w/a wire wisk). Since i have started this I haven't had as many candles seep. Just some on occasion and its probably me not paying close attention to my temps!

Honestly I get mixed answers from people about the seeping. Some people have none using no additives and up to 9% and some people are more like me and get it most of the time. Its so frustrating!!!! I even called my supplier which is local and I can drive to p/u so really want to make this soy work for me :wink2: & she makes candles with it and sells them ect and was shocked to hear I had any seeping. She told me that it has never happened to her :mad: ! Needless to say she wasn't very much help and offered no solutions or suggestions....

You can also call the manufacturer they are generally pretty helpful!

Hi Fairdust,

Thanks for the tip. I actually do not get any "FO" seeping as of yet. Both the C-3 Cargill and the Calsoy CB-3 has been holding up to 9% and I even got 10% in for vanillas in the Calsoy CB-3. However, I have not yet had my candles sitting in the EXTREME heat, so not sure what they would do. I do remember though that I brought my friend 10 candles to her that she bought and we had to sit in the car for a bit while she went into this store. I was so worried that the candles would seep. I had both paraffin and soy in the box and was more worried about the soy. I opened up all the tops when we were about ready to go and all the soy ones were fine (they were Calsoy CB-3) but the one big paraffin candle had a couple of seep spots on the top. And here I was worried most about the soy.

It looks like the C-3 does really well for Fire and Ice too. I do get the sweating on the unmelted edges when the candle is burning, but I found that it is not straight FO and is just the lower melting properties coming out. I tested to make sure and made a candle without FO and it still did it. You can tell when it is straight FO vs. the other. I think I get this more with the CB-3 than the C-3 but I am not really sure because I have not burned enough C-3 candles yet.

If I ever have a problem with seeping I will remember your tip! :smiley2: When do your candles seep? When they are not burning? Even in a nice temp room?

Thanks again.

~Holly :smiley2:

i thought you wrote that you were having seeping w/the amaretto nog. and yes the candles would seep no matter what temp my home is at the time. middle of winter, spring, fall or summer. as a matter of fact i just made a bug buster candle w/c-3 @ 1oz per lb and i had a puddle of fo on the top of my candle BUT i didn't heat the fo first this time. it was a bit warm in the candle room so i decided to try it w/out heating the fo first and it seeped like crazy.

fire and ice how do you do that :smiley2: ? see what i mean about the differences people have with this wax? like i said w/heating the fo and adding it at a higher temp. has helped but not 100%. my scales & therm. are working to. fine i wonder if its a bad batch. all other characteristics of this wax are the same as before though. i don't sell these candles just give them to family and friends & burn myself but i would love to sell them if i could get rid of the seeping problem completely!

Faerydust, I'm the one that asked the original question, not Holly! LOL! :smiley2: :smiley2:

I'm not too concerned about this anymore, cause I have gotten no hot throw out of this wax, so I'm moving on. :rolleyes2

Make absolutely sure to really stir it in well but do it gently to avoid air bubble. You should also know that I do my candles in two pours. I Pour up to the throat, wait twleve hour at least, then pour up the throat of my mason jar the next day.

I cure most scents for a week too. The secret with C-3 IS the CURE TIME!:rolleyes2

I'd also like to add that I've used over 4000 lbs of this wax and I have NEVER had a bad batch.

Learn to keep very good notes on you candle making and when all else fails, go back to you notes!

I've got this wax down so well, I don't temp anything. I can tell by the color in my melt pot what's going on.

Thanks Fire and Ice, so glad to hear you have not had any problems with the C-3!!

I really like this wax too!! I let a lighter scent cure for about 5 days and the throw was awsome!! I could smell it all over the house and friends came over and said how wonderful the house smelled. Usually this scent would fill a room or two with the 100% soy, but IMO it threw better in the C-3!!

I am not getting the seeping with this wax either.

I made a candle with 100% soy @8% and it puddled on top. Made the same candle with the C-3 and it came out perfect!! I am not getting frosting and I am not having sinkhole problems. I am getting wetspots, but that is a minor problem for me.

I am more concerned with the cold and hot throw...

Also, I can wick down with this wax!

Where do you order yours from. I got mine at CSC.

I was out in Ohio and stopped by there last month. It is $42.99 a case but if you order 12 or more cases it drops to $35.00. Just thought you might be interested too!!

i swore that was holly's name up there...:shocked2: ...lol

fire and ice...that is really good to know that you have never had a bad batch....its probably more my technique than anything. soy is really tricky...lol but i love the way it burns and when it has a throw it has a throw! therefore i am willing to put up w/the quirks :smiley2: