Wick Question

:cool2: Hello!! I am new to this site but I am loving candle making. I am using Soy wax...Container and Pillar. FOr my containers I just bought a 6" inch HTP Cotton wick. I trim it to the right size and use the leftovers for my tealights. Am I doing this right or am I supposed to be using specific wicks for specific containers?!?! I use tealights, 3oz votive jars, 6 oz tins and 16 oz mason Jars. I have never double wicked....Just curious if I am doing okay or do I need to change something.

Thanks

Kimberly

http://www.capturedmomentz.net

Every FO will act somewhat differently in wax, so you need to find the right wick for your wax/jar/FO combination. A 6oz tin will need a different wick than a 16 oz jar. Also, you may need different size wicks for different Fos in each of those containers. Tealights need a much smaller wick than you would use in either of the other containers.

I would order a sample pack of various wicks. The sample pack will have many different sizes, so you can test and see which size will work for you in each application. You can't just use one wick across the board. Hope that makes sense :)

I am surprised you can get a single wick to burn soy in a 16 oz. mason. I always have to double wick those. You will not get 1 wick to burn every FO in every size container you have. As was suggested already, I would buy a sample pack of wicks. HTP wicks are good flat braid wicks and will work well in the soy. Also, I would work on one jar at a time and master the wicking on it for each of your scents before you move on to another. If you are trying to get wicking down for too many containers at one time, it will likely to drive you crazy. :D

:confused:Okay, I am kind of confused. I have quite a few different FO, do I need to test all of them with different wicks?!? I have sold 2 16oz jars and some tins and tealights already. The jars and tins haven't been burnt by the people yet but I have burnt one of my jars. I didn't use enough scent or something b/c there is no smell cold or hot but it was my first one. The tealights I sold were fine. My hubby is going to die when he hears I have to invest more money! LOL

Is there anyway you can get by without wasting that much wax? I don't have the money to do that, but I want to make and sell good candles. Hmmmm, what have you discovered works for you? Any help that has come my way is appreciated and the help to come is definitly appreciated!

Thanks

Kimberly

This is true. I only started a month ago, have gone through several pounds of wax with different oils, wicks and color. The only thing I am settled on is my jar and I know there is at least a type of wick I want to stick with, still testing sizes. I have spent hundreds already and hours pouring and burning candles. I'm getting closer all the time, but would not sell anything. I am hoping to be prepared to do a small craft fair in mid October, but I know realistically that I still may not be ready. Good luck to you, hope you are at least enjoying this (expensive) but very exciting new hobby.

You haven't invested nearly enough in product development yet to be selling your candles. Yes it's expensive in both time and money but there is absolutely no way around it.

Exactly. This is NOT a get-rich-quick kind of business. It takes quite a bit of time and money to create a product that it safe and of quality. You must test every fragrance in every jar to find the correct wick and you will go through a lot of wax and fragrance before you're done testing. You really should not be selling a product that you have not tested thouroughly. Not only can it be dangerous, but it will hinder your business later. You will not have repeat customers if you sell inferior products. Also, you should get a business license and insurance before selling something that could burn someone's house down. Just a thought.

I am only selling to friends and family. I have talked with others that have and are selling candles and they too didn't test and they are doing just fine. I have had nothing but compliments about my candles. I came here for advice not to be insulted. Thank you and again...I have my answers...

Good day

Kimberly

If you take that as an insult than any advice that anyone has to offer is obviously being wasted. What you have gotten is clearly advice, period, I saw no insult in any of the replies you received.

You have to be careful that your wick is not burning too fast or too slow. The general rule is that the wick should burn one hour for each inch of the diameter of the jar and by that time the melt pool should be to the edge of the jar and no deeper than @3/8" thick. For myself if it gets to 1/2" I am not comfortable with the safety of that. If it doesn't get to the edge of the jar it will start tunneling down and that is not a good candle. Or if the melt pool gets too deep the candle will burn to fast and get too hot, which isn't good either. That is why it does take testing, the whole jar so you are sure the wick is burning right. And the more days the candle sits and cures the stronger it gets (to a point I guess!) I'm sure everyone meant well, it's just that we have all gone thru what everyone has said in the previous replies. It is very addicting and fun to make candles, but also frustrating sometimes till you get things worked out. That is why there is a million (I exaggerate!) sizes of wicks to work with.

The comment about getting rich quick and such was not needed. I am selling my candles but not for the money or to get rich. The money is to help me buy more candles. I came here for the advice and I appreciate it but to tell me that I am doing everything wrong isn't very nice especially when everyone dosent' do it your way. Again, I thank you...

Kimberly

No one means to insult you:sad2: We just are giving you the best advice, testing and selling candles are 1 and the same NO BUT'S AbOUT IT, you could loose business:cry2: if you dont have a product that burns well and who would want that if their trying to make money, This business takes time and money you have to love it it enough to test your candle and you have to love your customers enough to give them the best possible safe product you can offer, I am not trying to be rude but if you want to make a business out of candlemaking you cant just "wing it" and I truly mean that;) Good Luck! Dont get discouraged I tested for a year and spent over a thousand dollars on testing supplies but now I am proud to say that I have a great product to offer my customers.

Rachel

TEETH

:drool:

The teeth of Pygocentrus piraya are broad, serrated, tricuspid and razor sharp. These teeth are used for slicing chunks of fish. These teeth are backup by strong musculature that have enough force with combination of the teeth to clip off a finger or toe! A medium sized P. piraya (12 inch specimen) can have teeth as long as 10 cm TL or larger depending on the overall size of the animal..

:cool2: Hello!! I am new to this site but I am loving candle making. I am using Soy wax...Container and Pillar. FOr my containers I just bought a 6" inch HTP Cotton wick. I trim it to the right size and use the leftovers for my tealights. Am I doing this right or am I supposed to be using specific wicks for specific containers?!?! I use tealights, 3oz votive jars, 6 oz tins and 16 oz mason Jars. I have never double wicked....Just curious if I am doing okay or do I need to change something.

Thanks

Kimberly

You asked.........don't get mad because you don't get the answers you want.

I was not trying to insult you. I was telling you the truth about making candles. It's not quick or easy and if you aren't careful, you can be selling a dangerous product. You came here asking for advice, so you shouldn't be upset that the advice you received was not what you wanted to hear.

By looking at your site and reading your comments, it appears that you are using the same wick in a tealight as you are in a mason jar, and everything else. You absolutely can not do that, that tealight is a flamethrower waiting to happen. If you have done even the slightest bit of research into making candles you'd know that.

I think it's safe to say (again, by your comments) that you have not tested each oil in each different container, yet alone tried any other sizes or types of wicks. You've simply poured wax, stuck a wick in it and called it good. Wrong. Try reading the Newbie tips and FAQ's at the top of the forums, and do lots of research. I don't care what people are telling you about how they've burned, you are NOT making a safe product.

There is lots of good info on this board, and others, but you have to spend the time to learn, and you'll have to spend some $$ to test properly. It's not as simple as you may think. Remember, you are making a product that can kill people, you need to do it correctly. GOod luck.

You better make sure you have product liability insurance in place immediately......if you are selling without it you are very foolish!! The warning labels on your candles (if you are using them) will NOT protect you from a lawsuit if one of your candles causes a fire. The people here have given you some good advice and if you choose to continue selling without the proper testing, you definately won't get much sympathy if something goes wrong and trust me it eventually will!! :cool2:

Okay, I wasn't going to reply back but I need to....about my tealights. My tealights and tins came from a company that I trust and have regular coorespondance with and they sold me the wicks and such for my candles insuring me they were fine. I have tested several of the tealights and they are just fine. I used the wicks that the gentleman instructed me to use for the tealights and the tins. I do use the warning labels on the candles that I sell of give away. I trust the company that I buy from and their opinion on wicks and such. I was just seeing what others do, if I am having luck on the wicks I am using why test? The Mason jar is burning just fine on my test candle and it isn't double wicked. I have no scent throw but that is b/c I didn't put enough FO in it and it was my first one.

I made my first pillar yesterday and it is wonderful cold and hot. I didn't test wicks...I am using the ones the comapny suggested for me to use with this pillar. Anyway, I am sorry I caused such a disturbance. I thank you all for you advice.

Where do you get insurance?! I understand why it is neccesary but I know people that sell candles in mass at craft fairs etc and don't have it so for a small home buisness that is only making about $40 or less a month do we really need it?!

Just curious and again I am sorry for the disturbance

Your brave to stake your legal liabilty on a supply company, I guess if your sued you can just say- the supply company said it would work-:shocked2:

neway, I get my ins for candle and bath and body for about 400.00 a year for 1/2 mill in coverage, I would STRONGLY suggest this for you-seriously-

rachel

Okay, I wasn't going to reply back but I need to....about my tealights. My tealights and tins came from a company that I trust and have regular coorespondance with and they sold me the wicks and such for my candles insuring me they were fine. I have tested several of the tealights and they are just fine. I used the wicks that the gentleman instructed me to use for the tealights and the tins. I do use the warning labels on the candles that I sell of give away. I trust the company that I buy from and their opinion on wicks and such. I was just seeing what others do, if I am having luck on the wicks I am using why test? The Mason jar is burning just fine on my test candle and it isn't double wicked. I have no scent throw but that is b/c I didn't put enough FO in it and it was my first one.

That mason jar may not burn fine once you put more FO in it. It also may not burn fine once you put in a different FO. Every FO will act differently in wax, so you must test each fragrance in each jar to see which wick will work well. How much fragrance are you using in your wax?

Also, what is your definition of fine? How does the candle burn versus how would you like it to burn?

This is really a fun hobby to get into, but I think you're just getting a little ahead of yourself. If you want to earn some money while you are testing jars, you could always sell tarts and votives. Those still need to be tested, but are less time consuming to do so. Many people can use the same wick size in most votives and just wick up for heavier scents. Tarts don't even have the whole wick issue, so just test for throw and to make sure it won't smoke when burned. If you sold those items, you could earn some money to help pay for supplies while you test your jar candles thouroughly.

Yes, testing is expensive, but if you are only testing one jar at a time, it's a lot easier. Once you master the first jar with a few scents and start selling that, you can move on to another jar or add more scents in the first jar. That way, you aren't selling a product that isn't properly tested. :)

That mason jar may not burn fine once you put more FO in it. It also may not burn fine once you put in a different FO. Every FO will act differently in wax, so you must test each fragrance in each jar to see which wick will work well. How much fragrance are you using in your wax?

Also, what is your definition of fine? How does the candle burn versus how would you like it to burn?

This is really a fun hobby to get into, but I think you're just getting a little ahead of yourself. If you want to earn some money while you are testing jars, you could always sell tarts and votives. Those still need to be tested, but are less time consuming to do so. Many people can use the same wick size in most votives and just wick up for heavier scents. Tarts don't even have the whole wick issue, so just test for throw and to make sure it won't smoke when burned. If you sold those items, you could earn some money to help pay for supplies while you test your jar candles thouroughly.

Yes, testing is expensive, but if you are only testing one jar at a time, it's a lot easier. Once you master the first jar with a few scents and start selling that, you can move on to another jar or add more scents in the first jar. That way, you aren't selling a product that isn't properly tested. :)

A lot of this has already been mentioned to her and she apparently doesn't care about any of that. I personally wouldn't waste anymore time trying to explain anything. Besides, her supplier has already told her how to do it all, already. :rolleyes2