Does this sound fair to you?

A couple of weeks ago I placed an order with a popular FO supplier for some oils. One of the oils I ordered was not yet in stock (this information was not indicated on their website, they were selling it like it was in-stock) yet I was charged for the out-of-stock (and VERY expensive) item at that time. A few days later I received my order and saw that I did not get the one oil. There was no invoice or anything included with the order so it actually took me a couple of days to realize it was missing. After I emailed them they indicated to me the oil was not yet in stock but would be shipped when it came in. OK, so I was a little peeved at not being notified of this until I contacted THEM, but all right.

~BUT NOW~

Today I received an email from them saying the oil was shipping to me. Attached was a Paypal invoice for a SEPARATE shipping charge for this oil! I think this was just WRONG of them to charge me to ship it separately when I had no indication at the time of placing the order, that the oil was not yet in stock! :mad: I went ahead and paid the shipping charge, but do not think I will be ordering from this supplier again. I am a little P.O.'d at this point.

Am I justified in feeling this, or do you all think this was a fair charge? :undecided

They should have to pay the shipping. 1. They did not give you an option to purchase later, or warn you about extra shipping charges.

Candlewic often is OOS on items I get from them, although they do not contact me about OOD items, THEY do foot the shipping. I would not have paid that in the first place. In fact I would call them up and ask to know why the extra shipping is MY responsibility. Seems if you were charged for it in the shopping cart, you are being charged for it twice.

I did email the supplier tonight to tell them I am NOT a happy camper about the extra shipping charge when they did not offer me the option of having everything shipped at once. I mean, if you do not carry something YET you should not offer it for sale on your website - right??

No, I wouldn't feel it's fair if it happened to me. One of my regular suppliers has a box for you to check when you are paying. It asks what you want them to do should something turn out to be out of stock. The options are: check with you first, or just go ahead and ship separately. It's nice when they do check with you first. Because, depending on which item is missing, you may or may not want the rest to come first. And they did warn me there is a separate shipping fee if the item is sent on by itself later, which I thought was fair that they let me know this.

Okay here is my opinion on the shipping.

Lets say you have a 5# box. We will say you have 2 items. Lets just assume for the sake of argument each weighs 2.5#. So in the shopping cart (since the cart does not know they are out of one item), you get charged to ship both items. So they shipping quote is for the 5#. So the ship it to you, you find out they are B.O. on 1 item, and then they charge you to ship ANOTHER 2.5 for the initial order which you already paid for in the cart? NO that is spelled "R-I-P-O-F-F". So it seems you actually paid for 7.5# of shipping when you only got 5# of product. Get my drift? I hope they read this. Poor biz practice, feel free to float me a pm, so I can be sure not to order from them.

I would give them a call, and just calmly explain the situation to them, you may have better results. I call my suppliers often, so they get to know me. I think if that doesn't iron things out, well then you have a problem with that particular supplier. I'm with mizzbizzyb, often I call my orders in,except for suppliers like Peak's as I know the communication is good, if it is out of stock they let you know, if you try to order it and it is out of stock a screen pops up that says they only have so many available. Good Luck

I would definitely call. Talking to someone directly usually gets me better results. I don't order from a particular supplier anymore because they never tell you when things are out of stock. They don't charge for the item, but I hate not knowing that ItemX won't be in my box until 3-5 days later when I get my package. By then, I could have ordered that item from another supplier.

And I definitely believe that you are getting ripped off here. It isn't fair and if they won't refund the shipping cost, I would not order from them again.

OK, I am officially done with this supplier. :mad: The email I got back stated that since this oil was a pre-buy, I basically should have known there would be a separate shipping charge. Well, I did not KNOW it was a pre-buy, the oil was listed under "What's New" with regular pricing, NOT pre-buy pricing. :mad: NOTHING mentioned on the page about it being a pre-buy!!! So, for a 2oz FO sample bottle, I have now paid $15.50.

I will PM the people who wanted to know which supplier this is, I don't want to put it here because I do not want the same thing happening to me as has happened to other members putting out supplier complaint threads.

I would give them a call, and just calmly explain the situation to them, you may have better results. I call my suppliers often, so they get to know me. I think if that doesn't iron things out, well then you have a problem with that particular supplier. I'm with mizzbizzyb, often I call my orders in,except for suppliers like Peak's as I know the communication is good, if it is out of stock they let you know, if you try to order it and it is out of stock a screen pops up that says they only have so many available. Good Luck

Give them a call and explain your dismay. Must suppliers are pretty good about it and things like that get overlooked, especially if they are really busy. If their a good company, they will either give you a credit for the shipping cost, reimburse you the dollar amount or throw in freebies the next time you order.

When I order online, I usually call the supplier first to ask lots of questions, get approvals on instock items and ask for a confirmation on shipping before the package leaves their doorstep.

Hope you get it resolved.

I don't see anything wrong with posting the name of the company here - especially if you have tried to resolve this with them and they have not resolved to your satisfaction. I also would be interested in knowing about a company that does business like this. $15.50 for a 2 oz plastic bottle of fo is wayyyyyyyyy to expensive and not right! Save the rest of us from making the same mistake!

I dont think I would have paid the paypal invoice for the shipping to begin with. When you do that you are accepting the charges. I would have just told them to refund the sample money or just throw the sample bottle in with a future order. BUT they should NOT have charged you extra shipping on the item in the first place. I just had an order come in last week that was 4# short on an out of stock item, the 4# order came in a few days later.... no extra shipping. Their mistake in charging you for the extra shipping and your mistake paying for it. Bruce

SOW, I didn't want to name the supplier because other members posting complaints have gotten crucified both by other members of the board and by the supplier coming on the thread and saying the member doesn't know what they're talking about, or they're full of crap, or they're impossible to please, etc. I'm the most non-confrontational person you can imagine and threads like that make me ill. Plus she wasn't flat out rude - in which case I definitely would've named the company. I just wanted to know what others would do if they were placed in a similar situation. I WILL say who it wasn't - Peak, Green Leaf, Just Scent, Candle Cocoon, A Scent Shop.

Well I can tell you this. One supplier in Wisconsin does rip you off in shipping. I happened to log into my ups account and put the same information in and it was more then 5.00 cheaper then what they charged me. They make quite a bit of money on shipping. Plus not to mention that if you want it shipped 2day they charge you extra for a rush order. Isnt 2 day shipping charge enough that you dont have to pay the extra fee for something they have to do already? All I can say is that I am almost done weening myslef off this company. Because of the service they provide I have cut my ordering by over 75% from them

I would be upset too. Overpriced shipping is a huge pet peeve of mine. Did you explain that there was no 'pre-buy' notice on the item, that it was regular priced?

Id email once more with a plea, I do hate to give up. Having said that, I have written off some of the most popluar suppliers due to overpriced shipping.

Good luck, I hope you can get some kind of resolution.

Aloha,

Audrey