Ecosoya VB

Hello! I am new here, just had a quick question please. I am using the ecosoya vb, could anyone tell me please why my votives and even tarts after setting up, settle and have a round crack on the top around the wick. I cant get them to not have that round crack. Any suggestions? Also, in your opinions, what do you find to be the BEST 100% soy wax for strong scented votives? Thanks!

Laura

The little crack around the wick is where it is pulling away from the wick a bit. Votive and pillar waxes are designed to pull away slightly from the sides so they can release from the molds and so they do it slightly from the wick. If you have a heatgun, or an an embossing gun, a quick zap across the top will help melt the wax around the wick. But in all honesty, a lot of people use molds with wick pins and when we slide the wick pin out, it leaves a hole to slide the wick up into. So you will have a slight gap around the wick anyway. If you look at most of them in the store, they are that way. Personally I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Once you start burning them, the wax fills in the hole anyway

well, it happens on the tarts too that dont have a wick. im sorry i probably said it wrong, on the votive the round crack is around the wick, but its on the outer edge. it settles down a little in the middle and then there is a round crack around the outer edge.

laura :smiley2:

Dear Laura,

140F is the nominal pouring temperature recommended by the Nature's Gifts, but they say you can also pour this wax cooler. If your problem is cracking due to shrinkage, try a lower pouring temperature to lessen the shrinkage. Also double check your thermometer with boiling water to make sure it is reading correctly.

Start with that, but also be aware of the manufacturer's general list of troubleshooting tips in case you didn't see it:

- First make a candle in the mold with only the wick (no dye or fragrance). If it looks good then the wax is performing normally.

- Then one at a time change a variable. Try adding the dye without fragrance to the wax and wick. If it looks good and burns well the dye is compatible with the wax.

- Try adding the fragrance without dye to the wax and wick. If it looks good and burns well the fragrance is compatible with the wax.

- Try the dye and fragrance together with the wax and wick. If it looks good and burns well the dye/fragrance combination is compatible with the wax.

- If you are experiencing burn problems, try a different type or size of wick.

- Other variables to try are different pouring and cooling temperatures and even different molds.

My wax of choice for votives is KY Pillar/Votive Blend. It has a great throw and nice appearance.

The VB just plain sucks! I had the same problems, no cause that I could find other than the product itself. Kaybee told me to try the KY, and I haven't looked back! I just ordered 50lbs.

Casey

yeah im starting to figure that out, (that is sucks!) lol i liked it at first cause it made very creamy candles, luckily i only ordered 25 lbs, but there is still alot left. should i just make tarts with it?

With all due respect to the opinions of others, I would encourage you not to jump to the conclusion that the product sucks. Every wax is used very successfully by some people, and every wax is a failure for some people. I think you're better off in terms of time, money and advancing your expertise by experimenting further with the Eco-Soya and learning how to make work for you. There is no miracle wax out there. If you don't stop and learn to troubleshoot and get the most out of your materials, it will be all the more frustrating when you find out what the problems are with your NEXT wax.

Hello! I am new here, just had a quick question please. I am using the ecosoya vb, could anyone tell me please why my votives and even tarts after setting up, settle and have a round crack on the top around the wick. I cant get them to not have that round crack. Any suggestions? Also, in your opinions, what do you find to be the BEST 100% soy wax for strong scented votives? Thanks!

Laura

Hi Laura Im new too :) Also trying this wax and mine are cracking right across the middle in an almost perfect straight line. Not all of them, but some. Hope you get it figured out soon. Sorry I cant be any help Im still trying to figure it out too :) I think my problem is I first used a parf wax blend for tarts and just heated, adding fo and poured right away, then popped in the freezer to cool, perfect every time, but I wanted to try a soy blend and tried doing them the same way, not working,lol. I'm going to try cooling before pouring today. Best of luck to you.

With all due respect to the opinions of others, I would encourage you not to jump to the conclusion that the product sucks. Every wax is used very successfully by some people, and every wax is a failure for some people. I think you're better off in terms of time, money and advancing your expertise by experimenting further with the Eco-Soya and learning how to make work for you. There is no miracle wax out there. If you don't stop and learn to troubleshoot and get the most out of your materials, it will be all the more frustrating when you find out what the problems are with your NEXT wax.

This bears repeating. Excellent advice! ;)

Well, there isnt much left to test on this wax. I use it for votives and tarts. I get the same cracking thing from the tarts and votives. I do not dye my candles at all. And there is obviously no wick in the tarts. So all i am adding to this wax is fragrance for the tarts. I have tried 5 different scents in this wax, and no matter what they all get the round circular crack around the outer edge from when they settle down in the middle a little. So, I will try pouring at an even cooler temp then the 140 and see if that works, if not, it seems im out of options except to move on to a different wax. :(

laura

We all have our own favorite waxes. But what works for me or someone else may not work for you. There have been many discussions about this. Sometimes you just have to play with it and see if you can get it to do what you are wanting. At some point if it isn’t, it may be time to move on and try another wax. Sometimes a 10 lb sample bag and shipping is worth getting rid of the headaches you are having with a particular wax. I have spent countless hours trying to get some waxes to work for me and sometimes it just doesn’t happen. Find one that you are at least half way satisfied with and go from there on making it work for you. Sometimes I think that different climates, environments, testing procedures and what not, all play a part in how our finished products turn out. Terrie and I have been having this same discussion. Nothing wrong with testing other waxes. As some are FO junkies, some of us are also wax junkies.