What could this be?

Scented

When gel is going on the soap is still pretty soft yes? no? So what happens if you think that the gel stage has stopped, but maybe it hasn't? I can't figure out why these bars still look like they are gellin', when this bar was cold to the touch on all sides and the liner just peeled right off. Anyone know what this could be? I don't think it's a shadow over the soap from taking a pix. And I did a tongue test, but got no zap.

[ATTACH]6238[/ATTACH]

post-23-139458400337_thumb.jpg

If the log/slab was cold to the touch when you unmolded, gel should be completely finished. Wondering if your soap did the partial gel thing, where the center gelled but did not spread to the outer edges of the your soap?

Yes, when soap is in gel it is hot and jelly-like. Much more translucent and darker, too.

If it doesn't zap, no way would I rebatch! LOL It may have just overheated a bit in the mold. Sometimes my batches do that, then the appearance is just wonky. The soap is fine to use though.

Edited to add: Going through gel can change your colors somewhat. That's normal.

Yup, that looks like a partial gel. The center that gelled got darker looking, and the part that didn't gel stayed opaque-y looking.

Rebatch? Hard call - I hate to rebatch, but I'd have to decide if it looked good enough for sales. The soap will be fine. Maybe if you don't like the looks you could trim it smaller, package it a bit differently, and reduce the price a little bit. Or use it in a multibar gift pack...

Well I'm not on the selling venture, but would just use it to try to get opinions on the feel of the batch. Still trying out recipes to see what I like.

So if it's a partial gel, then what could cause that? And would a partial gel affect say the outcome of the feel or the smell?

Thanks to you soapers who have answered. It's always a learning process and this is something I would rather avoid in the future.

Some soapers put the mold into a warm oven to ensure that gel is forced. Or you can just insulate the dickens out of the mold and put it in a fairly warm place (or at least not a cold one).

Whether soap gels or not? It's still soap either way, eventually. I prefer the texture of gelled soaps and encourage gel, but if it fails to happen now and then, I don't sweat it. Gelled soap gets firmer faster IME, so I can cut it sooner than I can ungelled soap, which stays softer & stickier longer for me. The heat of the gel seems to speed up the saponification process for me, much as adding heat to your soap via the HP method does.

Your soap should be fine. But yes, partial gel is a pain because the soap looks different where the gel stopped.

It's just weird lol! I'm thinking maybe those two pieces above were from the ends. See here are more cuts and I'm not really seeing "the Shadow" on these ... man that sounds like it ought to a be a radio story ... anyway, I can't find "The Shadow" on the other bars so to speak. They were colored with black cherry and moss green.

Oh Sherie the scent is sandalwood rose ... was hoping for umm more color out of the black cherry, but I gotta work on that.

Here's other cuts from the same log.

[ATTACH]6244[/ATTACH]

post-23-139458400347_thumb.jpg

OMGosh Julie, those bars are beautiful!!!!!!!! I want you to go to mirror and pat yourself on the back for a fantastic job!!!!!! :yay: I know you wanted more color but the colors you achieved are perfect together. I bet Rob is going to love those bars. How did the FO perform for you?

Well it didn't accelerate anything, which was a bonus lol! I can smell it in the bar, but really Rob is the one who's gonna have to say "Yep, that's it." My nose is clogged from soaking incense ... Strawberry Musk ... yum ... and trying to dry out seven other batches lol.