Trying to fill order, having a problem UPDATED

I landed my first wholesale account about 6 wks ago. They order 25 pic embedded hurricanes with a pic of their establishment on it. They finally sent me the pic yesterday. I preped my pics, molds, placed them in oven to warm, melted wax, poured the wax, and it started leaking everywhere. I use molder sealer putty and it wont hold. I've never had this problem before. I used to use my heatgun to warm the molds, but cant find it anywhere. I think thats the problem, the mold is getting to hot so it's melting the putty. I also cant find my magnets I used to use over the putty as a 2nd layer of protection. I haven't poured for about a year now, and can't find anything. They are now in a hurry to get this order which makes the situation that much more frustrating. They shut down for a month (I work here) and I was laid off. I planned to fill this order during that time, but without the pic I was unable. Now their open, I'm back to work full time, plus have a part time job, as well as do work for my painting company, and they want this order yesterday. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! Ok I'm off to go search for my heatgun, probably in my hunnys tool is the work van by now, and he's off golfing. Anyone got a 4 leaf clover or rabbits foot to spare, lord nows I need some luck right now.:rolleyes2

Spray the mold with a non butter version of Pam.

The original formula. Wipe out excess. Works like a charm.

I have never preheated a mold for a hurricane. Perhaps too much heat and wear and tear on the mold have broken down the seams.

Make sure your mold is super clean before spraying. Any residue on a mold will prevent it from releasing the candle easily.

This is the first time I have stuck them in the oven to preheat, I usually just hit them with my heat gun for a few seconds, then again after I pour the wax if it's cooling before I can get my pic placed.

It's leaking out the wick hole, not the seam. I think the mold is just getting to hot in the oven and melting the putty. I'm trying to find my heatgun to use instead. The 1260 cools very fast.

I did make sure the mold was very clean, but it has been a long time since it was used, and sprayed with any mold release. Maybe it's just time to spray it again. Thanks for the advice Mystical.

I did, well the freezer, and they never did come out. I ended up getting out the sides in chunks, and stuck them in the oven upside down so the wax would melt and drip out onto a cookie sheet. I've given up for the day. Tomorrow I will try spraying them with mold release and see if that works better, and using heat gun instead of oven to heat mold.

If you have to make 25 of these in a hurry, I would strongly recommending getting on the phone and ordering some 5055 from Candlewic. Might as well order the Micro 180 at the same time. You will be beating yourself up trying to make that many with the 1260.

Other tips from Donita and others:

1. Clean molds with WD 40 before every use.

2. Use 1 tsp of powdered mold release pp wax

3. Use 1/2 oz of Micro 180 pp of wax.

4. Warm molds with heat gun before pour in wax.

5. Print pictures in advance so they are dry

6. use 24# bright white paper - cost more but so worth it

7. dip picture in presto pot to get rid of air bubbles in advance - set picture aside on flat dry surface. After they are dry I put them in an old hurricane until I use them. Sort of give the picture a little curve which helps when embedding them

8. Heat the 1260 to 200 before pouring into the mold

9. Check the temp of your water bath, should be over 70 degrees,

10. After removing the mold from the water bath, fill the mold to the top with wax. Will help getting them out.

11. Go buy some 5055 and still do steps 1 - 10. You will be surprised how much easier it is.

Good Luck

1260 works fine for regular 'canes, just not the best choice for picture 'canes. Be sure your pour temp is 200 and your water bath is at least 70 degrees. I really struggled making picture 'canes with the 1260. Did have better luck in the summer with it than in the winter so you may be OK. Do you have any Mico 180. That will help. You may want to bump it up to 1 oz pp. Good Luck

Ok, found my heatgun, went back to how I used to do it. Pour my wax in the mold, then heat the outside to melt the congeled wax, place my pic and cooled. Putty held just fine. I used spray mold release and IT CAME OUT Wooo Hooooo. So I made more, everything was going great. Then I realized something, my bf did me a favor and trimmed my pics, well he trimmed off the first word "A" from their phrase. So I have to melt these down, as well as print another 25 pics and trim them. What a waste of time and ink. GRRRRRRRRRR! I think I'm jinxed on this order. And it's my first commercial order.:rolleyes2

I did a google search. St Ambrose and St Bernard of Clairvaux are the Patron Saints of Candlemakers. I'd head to the nearest religious store and buy a couple of medallions to hang over your Presto before making any more 'canes for this order. Sounds like spiritual intervention is called for to save your sanity.