web sites

so i want to have a web site ... a real one not an ebay one:rolleyes2

I have software that I can do this however I am just not sure ...everytime I start it doen't look professional to me. How did you start or how did you learn all about it. Im so despretly trying to keep cost down since I have made a profit yet just completely turning everything right back into my products.

I don't think it's necessary to come up with something that's perfect right away. A website is something you can continually work at and improve on. Mine isn't very professional, and nothing fancy at all, but I hope to keep improving on it so that some day it will look better.

well I have lots of great designs & such but need to figure out more info like adding a shopping cart or being able to take order over it. Did you make yours? I need to bypass all these ebay fees and hope I can do this by getting a site going...but im so learning this process. At least i have a guide with my software however i guess then i need to find a domain name & host,,,,so i have heard LOL...And my own name is already taken GRRRR

Not sure what you mean by rolling eyes at an Ebay store but you might get faster exposure there than you would a website. You wouldn't have to keep it up real long if you got your website up and running.

I dont like ebay as a "store" ....thats just me. I actually get more exposure from word of mouth and referrals. So a web site is perfect for me, thats not ebay.

I did my first one myself, but for my second go-round I hired it done. I *can* do it myself, but I'm slow and it's a learning process for me, so I decided I'd rather use my time to make and sell product. LOL I'm glad I went this route because it has saved me a ton of time and frustration, and I know it has been done *right* -- KWIM? ;) This is just what worked for me.

Oh, and I began learning basic html by doing eBay listings...they have a little basic html tutorial I used.

at an Ebay store but you might get faster exposure there than you would a website.
Is this true? I know ebay gets tons of traffic, but there's so much stuff on there for sale that I'm not sure a potential customer could find me if I'm selling there.

Is this true? I know ebay gets tons of traffic, but there's so much stuff on there for sale that I'm not sure a potential customer could find me if I'm selling there.

I have found that it does not work...lots of the competition isn't good and you get " lost" plus my customers would rather see an actual web site then an ebay store. Some turn their noses up at ebay, not everyone like it. I get more traffic by word of mouth, biz cards, samples, locals, friends/family, private shows etc... and always i get asked about a web site. Even with an ebay store

Suds I took a peek in your website. I saw your soaps. Did you use PVC piping for that?
Yes, I used PVC pipe as a mold.
I have found that it does not work...lots of the competition isn't good and you get " lost" plus my customers would rather see an actual web site then an ebay store.
That's what I thought too, that you would get "lost" among the zillions of other sellers there. The customer may not even see your store, if they look through a few and don't get to yours. Neither would they know who's good and who's not, and may just buy what's cheapest.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, I used PVC pipe as a mold.

That's what I thought too, that you would get "lost" among the zillions of other sellers there. The customer may not even see your store, if they look through a few and don't get to yours. Neither would they know who's good and who's not, and may just buy what's cheapest.

You could always just be safer than sorry, have the best of both worlds, and do both :yay: Many do this

You could always just be safer than sorry, have the best of both worlds, and do both :yay: Many do this

Selling a few items on eBay is different than opening an eBay 'Store'. The Store isn't cheap, and no, I don't see a real advantage to it. For the price you pay eBay for the store and the percentage you pay them for final auction values, you could have a webhosting service and a complete storefront.

I personally am not attracted to ebay stores. they just dont give you enough options as far as personalizing it. if you get on ebay and look up candles you will find hundreds and hundreds of candle makers. that makes it hard to stand out from the rest. Also an ebay store is like 20.00 a month or somewhere around there. Thats more than some sites charge to host your site.

No, ebay stores aren't cheap. I looked into it once. Something like $20 per month plus a monthly fee per item listed. Depending on how per item is counted, it could get expensive. If I have a candle in 25 scents, is that 1 item or 25 items? If I have separate pricing for 1 candle, a 3-pack, and a 6-pack is that 1, 2, or 3 items? And I agree that you can't personalize it too much, which means it may be harder to make your products stand out.

Selling a few items on eBay is different than opening an eBay 'Store'. The Store isn't cheap, and no, I don't see a real advantage to it. For the price you pay eBay for the store and the percentage you pay them for final auction values, you could have a webhosting service and a complete storefront.

exactly my thoughts...i have one and for the same price i could have a real website...i just gotta find one i like. i am not into primitive or country style so the affordable ones out there are not my persoanl taste. i keep playing with my picture software that lets you build a site...but im so critical that i can;t get it perfect.

For starting a site, you could use www.diyestores.com ($20.00 a month) and you don't necessarily have to have primitive or country graphics. Any graphics you want to use can be used with the system as long as they are named within the specific parameters.

You get a fully functioning website, shopping cart built in and its truly DIY.