Floating candles

Hi,

I've really never made or used a floating candle. Can you tell me a little about them? Like what kind of wick you should use and how long they burn? Do you just float them in water or do you have to add oil?

So many questions today, one more thing? Is it really eaiser to buy tealight candles or make them? Just really learning everything. Thanks, Kim.

Typically a floating candle is wider than it is tall and are made in a mold. Most people float them in water. Would think oil would be a potential fire hazard. Wick depends on the size of you candle and type of wax you use. The ones I have made are less than 1" tall and usually burn for 4 to 6 hrs.

If you are talking unscented tea lights it is probably cheaper to buy them in bulk vs making them.

• 2 months later...

I have made tart floaters with IGI 1343 with additives and a votive wick, they burn up to 8 hours.

IMO - I don't like the tart molds for floaters because they are flat on top. If you are not careful when you place them in the water, they will get water on top of them and sometimes the wick will get wet so they will not burn well or not at all.

Here is a pic of a plain floater that I like, because it has a rounded top. I would like to find this mold in plastic or silicone.

Floating Candle.bmp

Here is a pic of a plain floater that I like, because it has a rounded top. I would like to find this mold in plastic or silicone.

Pourette has that.......3" floater in plastic. I had someone make me a silicone mold of a 2" floater like that......LOVE IT!!