Upland round log soap mold

Meridith

Does anyone have the Upland round log soap mold?

http://www.uplandsoapfactory.com/store/home.php?cat=7

What do you think of it? And what is the difference between the $21.50 one and the $32.50 one? I've tried to contact the company to ask, but haven't gotten a response. I like the round soaps and usually make them in Pringles cans, but there only good for one use. I am not crafty either as to make my own mold. I got my DH to make 2 batches of soap, but I know better than to even try to get him to make me a soap mold. I'll be waiting forever for that.

Meridith

All you have to do is get a section of 3" pvc and have the people where you buy it from cut it into sections and put end caps on them. Then line them with mylar, leaving a bit hanging out of the end, to be able to pull the soap out, and they are good to go. I haven't gotten mine yet, but that is something that is on my list to do. Maybe someone else who has made one will chime in on this.

You will get several out of a section of pvc pipe, but you could either sell them off or use them. I think it would be cheaper than buying that one from Upland.

I use PVC pipe for molds quite often. Like kaybee mentions - go buy a section (from hardware store, lumber yard, menards, where ever.) of what ever diameter you want ( 3 inch is kinda on the big side, 2 inch fits better in hands) , have them cut it - it's best to get it cut in 12 inch lengths - as pvc molds have been know to "heat" the soap up ( I would suggest not insulating after you pour your soap). I don't line mine but have heard of some that do. I just pop mine in the freezer then push them out.

Well you guys make it sound so easy so maybe I will have to try that. I'm just too much of a girl (or as DH says, Chick LOL) when it comes to things like this. I guess I should just get over it and roll my sleeves up and show what we woman are actually made of!! Thanks ladies. :D

Does anyone have the Upland round log soap mold?

http://www.uplandsoapfactory.com/store/home.php?cat=7

What do you think of it? And what is the difference between the $21.50 one and the $32.50 one? I've tried to contact the company to ask, but haven't gotten a response. I like the round soaps and usually make them in Pringles cans, but there only good for one use. I am not crafty either as to make my own mold. I got my DH to make 2 batches of soap, but I know better than to even try to get him to make me a soap mold. I'll be waiting forever for that.

The difference is that one comes with the teflon tube liner, and the other one does not. :)

I'm with the other girls on this though. Buy yourself PVC piping at the hardware store, cut it to length (or have it cut) wash it real well before making soap and you're good to go. Sometimes I will swirl the mold with some mineral oil to help with release, but with most un-lineable molds, the more you use it, the easier to release it becomes.

:) Good luck, and have fun!

I have used the pvc, the pringles can, but the best one of all for round soaps is the Crystal lite tube. Perfect for shaving soap, reusable, cut the end off the bottom and use the top as the cap. I line the bottom hole only with waxpaper or clingwrap, then put the top on and secure with rubber bands. reusable too!

I don't know what the differences are. BUT, if the ad is to be read correctly, you're gonna make one hell of a soap if the mold is 15 FEET tall and 3 FEET around. LMAO! :cool2:

LMAO! :laugh2: That's gonna be alot of soap! lol

...the mold with the teflon liner is cheaper. Somebody messed up.

donna

Tube w/ Teflon Liner, 3' x 15'

SKU: Tube3x15

Includes 2 end caps AND Teflon Liner

Price: $21.50

Round Tube Mold Assembly, 3' x 15'

SKU: RLM315

Price: $32.50

spacer.gif

I found out that the $32.50 one comes with a stand and that is what the difference is. I just wish they would explain things better on there site. I think though that they both come with a teflon liner but I could be wrong.

I like my Upland slab mold because I don't have to line it. And I love the depth of it. But even if you can cut a straight line, all the bars are not the same size and you need to adjust your cut lines because of that. If you follow the lines, your end bars will not be the same size as the rest.

If I use a full 3lb recipe in my Kelsie though, it gives me chunkier bars than I want. A 2lb recipe gives me just the right size bars that I am looking for.

I giuess for me, the bottom line is that both the Uplands and the Kelsie mold have their pros and cons and I do like both.

I have the Upland round mold. I don't use it often, but when I do, I like it. I have the one with the stand. It makes 15-one inch bars. I'm guessing that they are 3 inches in diameter. You will get a seam on one side from the liner--not a big deal to me. I love the stand, too! I agree, though, if you are minimally handy you can probably make it on your own. But if you don't want to hassle with it, this is a nice mold.