Do You Crimp All Wick Tabs?

Guess I'm sight challenged cause I have a dickens of a time getting my wicks centered -I blame it on my progressive lenses. Use templates to mark the container bottom and a pen barrel or straw. Then today I finally get 1 perfect and when I was threading the wick thru the skewers and clothes pin the darn wick comes out of the tab. Should I be crimping every wick tab before trying to stick them in the container? I do crimp everything I do in gels. Just curious what everyone else does.

Scented, that's what I thought. I crimp the pretabbed ones for gel again cause that's what Robin said to do. Maybe I just had a couple of bad ones today. Trying to figure out wicking for these darn mini casseroles. Thought I had it but got some light sooting at the very end. Now trying a couple of LX 12s to see if they do any better.

I think that everyone has run into a couple that pull out even though they are crimped at the factory.

I have a suggestion if you are having a problem centering the wicks - it only works for glass but here it is.

Use a template to mark the bottom of the container for the location of the wick. Get a piece of floral foam - insert a straw or empty pen into the floral foam. Now put the wick upside down into the straw and lower the glass jar (also upside down) onto the wick lining up the wick base and the mark on the bottom of the jar. This is the easiest way I have found to make sure I am putting them in the correct place.

HTH,

Well, butter my buns and call me a biscuit. I bought the pretabbed wicks to save a step. Guess I'll just leave the needle nose pliers on the counter with everything else.

LOLI know Trish had some problems with pre-tabbed she had purchased awhile back. Actually, you should not have to 're-crimp' the wicktabs, isn't that why you buy 'pre-tabbed'...to save that step?Sounds like you just got a bad batch.

I always recrimped prebought wicks - too many worked loose in the smaller wick sizes. Got tired of that (you're right, shouldn't have to do that!) and started buying wicks on spools to do my own.

I just draw a circle on my paper covering my workbench, and mark a central dot on it. When I'm ready to do a jar, I just pull it over on top of the mark, and with a fondue fork balancing the tab, aim for the dot.

Only seem to have a problem with the LX 12s so guess I'll just re-crimp those for now. Thanks Gottabt and Robin for the wick placement tips. Think I'll start with the floral foam. Don't know that I'm ready for the balancing fondue fork trick.