A Link with Soy Wax Testing Results-Interesting!!

It is Very interesting - thanks for the link!

I just did a search and can Not find anything more on the ADM wax - wonder what happened to it? Was this company bought out by someone else?

The link says that Just By Nature has the ADM - but it doesn't have it now - just the NatureWax.

This was mentioned on the old veg. board so if you want more comments on it you can search for threads there. (The person who did the tests is on the old board as "soybased"). I personally thought it was a great because of the pics. (Check out the soy pillar tests - yuk).

Here's a link to a discussion which morphs into who makes what soy brands. (Especially see lovesoy's post on page 2): http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=veggiewax;action=display;num=1108320843;start=

HTH

I know that Cargill is NatureWax (or vise versa) but wondered if Cargill may have 'bought' the processing or something. I did some research on the ADM and can't find much about Candle Wax from Soy.

Her is a link to "Soy News" that made me wonder about a "buy-out" as Cargill came out with the C3 about the same time and ADM stopped advertising or sending to suppliers....

Again - just a random thought:smiley2:

Hello! I'm the resident ADM soy wax expert. LOL Just kidding, sort of.

About purchasing ADM wax, your best bet is to go to their main distributor, which is Chempoint (www.chempoint.com), see phone number already posted. You might want to ask for Leslie Wiechy. She's their very helpful main soywax sales rep. I don't know what their minimum purchase requirement is because I usually order a pallet of wax at a time anyhow. I've been assured and reassured by both reps at ADM and Chempoint that ADM manufactures their own soy wax. I even have it in writing in my files somewhere.

Just By Nature no longer carries ADM wax. I'm not sure why, but I've been contacted by a lot of people asking if I will sell them ADM wax b/c JBN no longer does. I did sell the ADM for a while, but its expensive enough that I can't get a good enough deal on it without buying a truckload to make it worth my time and worth it to the buyers. Anyway, basically the only licensed vendor for ADM at this time is Chempoint. Chempoint will generally be happy to send you 10 lbs free to test and 1 lb of additive also.

About the Cargill waxes, "NatureWax" is the brand name Cargill gave to the wax formula they purchased from Mike Richards (inventor of soy wax). Richards calls this wax 'Soyawax" and I believe he still sells it on his website. So, Soyawax and NatureWax are different brand names for what started out as basically the same wax. But, I do know for a fact that Cargill has done further research and taken some liberties with Richards' formula and have changed it as customer feedback and research dictates. This is where the C1, C2 and C3 formulas come in. C1 is supposed to be Richards' exact original formula. With C2, they've made it just a bit better and with C3, its supposed to be even more improved. The Cargill reps told me that they're hoping to be able to keep all 3 formulas b/c of the people who've already done all their testing on C1 will want to continue to buy C1 (most likely) and so forth. Very nice of them.

Both Cargill and ADM have nice waxes. They're very different behavior-wise from the Golden Foods waxes--in my experience. If there are any specific ADM questions, I'd be happy to answer.

:)

Hi,

I had read over that particular test a little while ago and also found it very interesting. I have an online friend that uses ADM and loves it, except for the pitting and the frost that you get when you color them. She said that even though the distributor is in Washington, for some reason it comes shipped from another state. I don't quite understand why this would be. She said that she sometimes has trouble receiving the wax. I have wanted to test the ADM up against the CB-3 Calsoy to see which was better, but really did not know how to get a sample of it up until this thread. I saw that Chempoint site but did not see where to order it, etc. I just sent them an email asking them how one can order a test slab. I have a feeling that it may perform very similiar to the CB-3 Calsoy, except I am not sure about the scent throw - could be better, the same or not as good.

Thanks for posting this thread. :cool2:

Hi Holly.

I just wanted to answer a couple of your questions. ADM headquarters is in Illinois. The wax is shipped from there since its made there.

The scent throw is great in my humble opinion. But, the way things turn out is really dependent on who is making the candles b/c techniques, additives, etc vary greatly from one person to the next.

Hi Alightsoy,

Thank you so much for your help. :cool2: I will see what I can do in terms of getting a test slab. I really do like the CB-3 Calsoy, but there were just a couple others I wanted to test it up against and the ADM was one of them. I also like the C-3 Cargill but have not tested it enough to really know how the scent throw compares with the CB-3 Calsoy. The ADM sounds really good. I assume that you use it now?

Thanks again. :cool2:

~Holly

Yep! Still use it. I think I have about 4,000 lbs in the basement right now. LOL Oh, and it comes in pastille form (not slabs) in 50 lb. feed sacks if you get it from Chempoint. Pastilles are similar to flakes but are more like droplets.

Anyway, have fun testing!

I use ADM soy too, and have for over two years. It is an awesome soy wax, much better than any other I have used before.

Anyhow, I also am having shipping issues, and they are quite frequent with ADM, but it is a good wax. I don't know how it compares to CB3, but I really like it compared to GF and others. My problem is the fact that ADM is always inconsistant in shipping, I have received several bags that were damaged, (I received mine melted once and the bags were oily and falling apart when we tried to move them) and it was like pulling teeth to get Chempoint to replace the damaged product. If I had the opportunity to order from someone else I would, but they are the only supplier around. If you are going to order this wax, be prepared to possibly have issues with shipping. I order several thousand pounds to avoid having to reorder more often. I am not saying they are a bad company, just that every person I have dealt with has not been on the same page and has screwed up our orders. Very irritating to say the least.

Jordan

Ditto on the shipping issues. The wax warehouse is in Decatur, IL and I just drive over and pick up wax when I need it. I usually take a truck & trailer to get a pallet load. They seem to have some problems communicating between the warehouse and Chempoint's office in CA, but if you ask for the warehouse number directly, they are really helpful to me.