What would you grow??

tlc26

I have a friend with a ton of land. He is going to have a huge garden. He has offered to grow some herbs and flowers and stuff for me to use in soaps n' stuff.

I thought this odd but he wants to try growing loofah for me. He is gonna do lavendar too...but what else?

Anyway what would your wish list be for herbs, flowers etc.? Or what do you grow to use?

I would love to grow:

calendula (and faithfully collect the flower heads)

chamomile

peppermint

annato

catnip

comfrey

lavender

Perhaps this summer. :rolleyes2 I always plan on growing them, but never seem to get around to it.

My mom is having loads of landscaping done this year and I've got my requests in for herbs too! In fact, I think I have kind of hijacked her plans a bit :D I put in requests for calendula, chamomile, lavender, peppermint, and after that got a bunch of ideas from the landscaper on other herbs that would be fun to have.. so mom said "do it" and I'm all excited now! Might be a fun soaping year!

I have calendula, comfrey, lavender, chamomile, peppermint, lavender mint, chickweed, mugwort, lemon balm, st. john's wort, echinacea, aloe, feverfew.... that's what I can call to mind offhand. There's pots of stuff around the patio. DH is talking about laying me out a large bed just for the sun-loving herbs, and another for all the different mints. :yay: Can't wait! Now if I could only lay hands on some plantain and jewelweed.

We grew loofah one year,it's kinda neat.

I have a total black thumb and couldn't grow a thing to save my very own life, but he was telling me something like it is after the plant is actually dead a dried out and that is what we use. Sounds odd but fun.

I have calendula, comfrey, lavender, chamomile, peppermint, lavender mint, chickweed, mugwort, lemon balm, st. john's wort, echinacea, aloe, feverfew.... that's what I can call to mind offhand. There's pots of stuff around the patio. DH is talking about laying me out a large bed just for the sun-loving herbs, and another for all the different mints. :yay: Can't wait! Now if I could only lay hands on some plantain and jewelweed.

I have tons of plantain along with chickweed growing in my yard. Do you have a grassy area to look for plantain?

I just saw a show last night about a "lavender farm" in California, where they have acres of lavender, and let people come and pick their own, as well as sell at a farmers market. You may be aware of this already, but it suprized me to find out that there are many different types of lavender. If he's letting you choose exactly what you want, you may want to research the different types and find out which one best suits your needs.

I have tons of plantain along with chickweed growing in my yard. Do you have a grassy area to look for plantain?

I've searched around our yard and poked my nose through the vacant lot next door. Even have the neighbors on the look out for plantain. Even chickweed is sparse around here. I found one small patch, so far, and have warned off anyone I see going anywhere near it. Our lawn-boy says he now considers himself threatened :D . BTW, thought I'd share, I had a wonderful book recommended to me, that is super-helpful for anyone looking at herbs to use medicinally (infusions, tinctures, etc.). It's called Complete Guide To Medicinal Herbs by Penelope Ody. I found one on Amazon, got it in yesterday, and am astounded at the wealth of info in it.

If your planning on growing loofa, start them indoors now! I'm in Ohio as well and grew loofa last year. It has a longer growing season than other gourds (yes loofa is a gourd). It also should a trellis to grow on as well. If your want to grow organic, use hot pepper spray and also you can make a spray with neem oil and polysorbate 20 for the bugs, otherwise use 7Dust. Cucumber beetles are bad in Ohio. They will devestate gourds, melons, squash and gourds if not controlled. And yes you will have to dry the loofa at the end off the growing season before it can be used. Growing loofa is fun and easy as long as they are maintaned! It's really not hard at all!

I've searched around our yard and poked my nose through the vacant lot next door. Even have the neighbors on the look out for plantain. Even chickweed is sparse around here. I found one small patch, so far, and have warned off anyone I see going anywhere near it. Our lawn-boy says he now considers himself threatened :D . BTW, thought I'd share, I had a wonderful book recommended to me, that is super-helpful for anyone looking at herbs to use medicinally (infusions, tinctures, etc.). It's called Complete Guide To Medicinal Herbs by Penelope Ody. I found one on Amazon, got it in yesterday, and am astounded at the wealth of info in it.

I have to agree with you on Ody's book. Lots of info plus very nice photos.

A good resource to have on hand.