too large wick

If you use a wick that is too large, will this hamper the scent throw? I use 100 soy wax and I have changed my containers to the 9 oz. bean pot jars from The Jar Store. I'm using a medium wick size from At Wick end and the results were wonderful with the melt pool, etc. Now I'm having a few complaints about the scent throw on scents that would throw wonderful in the other containers which I used. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Marty

It shouldn't. The hot scent throw comes from the melt pool, so a big ol' wick should give you a big ol' melt pool, right?

Using too big a wick is dangerous in terms of overheating the jar. It could also cause excessive smoke/soot. But I don't think it would hamper scent throw.

Too large of a flame can effect the scent throw. I've heard the explination before but I don't remember off the top of my head. I think it is because the wax and scent are being consumed too fast or too hot, something like that. Have you tried the next size down?

I've got a new scent I'm testing here at work right now and I see the wicks are too big, but the scent throw is VERY strong. I can tell the wicks are too big because my melt pool is 1" and the wicks have big 'ole mushrooms and are sooting. So I agree with AJ.....too big of a wick is not affecting the scent throw!! :cool2: