Help!!!!!! Please!!!

eva

No, I wouldn't. When it turns orange, that means you burnt the milk. I've been making milk soap lately. I have the milk in an ice bath and very slowly (about 10-15 minutes) pour the lye in, stirring constantly. You'll know you have succeeded if when you're done it is a lemon color.

Also, if you pour too slow the milkfat and the lye could start the saponification process, and if that starts happening, just pour the lye in a tadbit faster. After you make it once or twice, you'll get the feel for the pace to pour it in at. And the soap it makes is well worth it.

Thanks!! I already threw it away, it looked too scary...

I really appreciate your instructions, I will try to do as you said (hopefully) tomorrow. Fingers crossed I will not ruin it again:rolleyes2

I ALWAYS freeze my milk in icetrays and then weigh out the cubes and pour the lye on the cubes and stir. Hold your breath it WILL stink no matter what you do but it will go away.

GM soap was the FIRST soap I ever made. I use GM in most all my soaps.

Patricia

All my soaps are 100% goat's milk and occasionally my lye/milk solution turns orange.......it's perfectly fine to use. Your soap may turn out a light tan instead of a creamy off white, but that's about it!! :cool2:

Also, too when it turns orange it might smell horrible at first, but that smell should cure out and the soap will be fine. Ask me how I know! :wink2:

That's good to know. I thought I read somewhere that you can't use it. Don't remember where. LOL!! I haven't had any turn orange on me yet. Do you pour in slower than when pouring it in water? It'll save time if I don't have to take forever pouring in that lye.

Well, yesterday I used milk ice cubes and poured the lye reeeeaaaalllllyyyyy slow and eventually it still went orange. At first it was light yellow, but at the end it was orange as the last time. So I used that orange stuff. I will cut it tomorrow and see what comes out of it. Of course I used vanillabased fragrance which made it tan anyways plus I tried to make some swirls with tumeric. So I will have brown soap. But at this point I am not worried about color, just wanted to be sure that it is safe to use this orange milk.

But for the future - you still say that the soap will cure to a offwhite even if the milk-lye micture is orange?

Best,

Eva

Eva did you put the container with the frozen milk in a cold water bath??? I found that if I put the milk container in a larger bowl, put lots of ice cubes around the milk container, then fill the bowl about 1/3 with cold water and let it sit for at least 20 minutes I can keep the milk a lemony yellow when I add the lye. I have no patience for pouring the lye slowly, I just dump it in and stir. If I don't use a cold water bath, my milk will usually turn orange, but my finished soap still stays off white or light tan. :cool2: