soy lotion base--opinions needed plz

amieelynne

I am dying to order some base and make some yummy smelling lotion to try out...my hands are screaming for lotion (my full time is in healthcare and between gloves/handwashing they are a mess lately) I want to make my own rather than giving half my paycheck over to BBW this week BUT BUT BUT I can only order 1 base (and some bottles and FO's) unless I wait til next week. I really don't want to wait til next week to order!!

if you could only get one, would you order millcreek or candlemaker's soy lotion base? I'm hoping to find the one that is the least greasy and has great staying power in terms of moisturizing & scent...and is it really as easy as it sounds, just buy the base and mix in FO? TIA

I have used Millcreek and people LOVE it!!! I tried a couple of others....when they were cheaper or on sale but hands down...Millcreek. It is a light weight lotion with enough ummmph to make your skin feel great. It is also very easy to work with. I usually heat it up a little to thin it out for mixing and pouring...only to be sure and shake or mix it well again. Never a complaint!

thanks everyone...I placed my order last night--got a gallon of soy lotion, red&purple dyes (only planning to make 1 or 2 of the scents a light pink or purple to see what it looks like, I actually prefer plain white lotion myself) and a pump from MC, FO's and some bottles from candlesource (I just LOVE their scents)

of course, I went way overboard on FO's and got fresh cut roses, fresh strawberries, hyacinth, j&j bedtime lavender, lilac, pears & petals, pink sugar, sun rippened rasberries, sweet pea, juniper breeze, freesia, plumeria--and that's not even counting the fact that I already have cuc melon, pearberry, melonberry etc already here at home..lol

is there a 12 step for scent addiction?? lol

I like and use Bitter Creek Lotion Base because of this...

This lotion contains NO Mineral Oil, which is a petroleum byproduct and leaves a greasy film on the skin and can clog the pores. It contains NO Lanolin, which is a wax derivative of sheeps wool, and it can be allergy-causing and comedogenic. It contains NO SD-Alcohol which is commonly used in other brands of skin products and can be drying to the skin!

A little goes a long way, absorbs quickly, is not greasy, stick or slimy. It is a great lotion but it is not a Healing lotion.

You can find it at BCN or BCS

http://www.candlesupply.com/bath.html

http://www.bittercreeksouth.com/bath_body.htm

ETA - OOPS! I should read more closely you asked about soy. I don't use soy because of the HIGH price. I sell my 8oz now for $8.00 and would have to sell soy 8oz for $27.00 three times as much.

Is it worth 3 X's the price?

OOPS! I should read more closely you asked about soy. I don't use soy because of the HIGH price. I sell my 8oz now for $8.00 and would have to sell soy 8oz for $27.00 three times as much.

I pay $13.95 + Shipping now and Soy Lotion is $39.95 + shipping.

OOPS! I should read more closely you asked about soy. I don't use soy because of the HIGH price. I sell my 8oz now for $8.00 and would have to sell soy 8oz for $27.00 three times as much.

Millcreek's is only $17.95 + shipping

why would it be three times the price--I paid 17.95 for a gal of soy lotion, and BCN has the lotion you're talking about for only $2 cheaper. all soys are missing that stuff (I'm pretty sure all) that's why I was interested in the soys...though I am a bit miffed that they have the paraben, I guess I can live with it because it seems that EVERYTHING has it in it.

I like and use Bitter Creek Lotion Base because of this...

This lotion contains NO Mineral Oil, which is a petroleum byproduct and leaves a greasy film on the skin and can clog the pores. It contains NO Lanolin, which is a wax derivative of sheeps wool, and it can be allergy-causing and comedogenic. It contains NO SD-Alcohol which is commonly used in other brands of skin products and can be drying to the skin!

A little goes a long way, absorbs quickly, is not greasy, stick or slimy. It is a great lotion but it is not a Healing lotion.

You can find it at BCN or BCS

http://www.candlesupply.com/bath.html

http://www.bittercreeksouth.com/bath_body.htm

ETA - OOPS! I should read more closely you asked about soy. I don't use soy because of the HIGH price. I sell my 8oz now for $8.00 and would have to sell soy 8oz for $27.00 three times as much.

it's the greenleaf that's $39 (and I have to wonder what the heck they are putting in that base to make it so expensive) I found soy base to be between $13 and $18 at all the suppliers I checked out...inc candlemaker's, millcreek, candlesource, BCN and more. I think kangaroo was high too, but I could be mistaken on that

it's the greenleaf that's $39 (and I have to wonder what the heck they are putting in that base to make it so expensive) <snip>

The lotion we carry is 100% Vegetable with certified organic ingredients in it. It is not simply a soy based lotion and is expensive for us to buy. That's why it is higher. The Body Butter has soy in it but it is a custom formulation and better than most out there in our opinion. It too is expensive to make but worth it in our opinion. Just a bit of an explanation.

HTH

greenleaf, please accept my appologies--I certainly wasn't trying to say anything is wrong with your product, just that it's a bit expensive for my needs.

No apology necessary :cheesy2: Just trying to let everyone know why it is more expensive. We do understand that it is not for everyone. Now get back to some fun and make some lotion :)

No apology necessary :cheesy2: Just trying to let everyone know why it is more expensive. We do understand that it is not for everyone. Now get back to some fun and make some lotion :)

oh...I wish, I wish...unfortunately with this darned holiday I'm stuck waiting til tuesday before the orders even get processed nevermind shipped!:cry2:

About the parabens, I've only found one supplier that offers paraben free lotion, and it's a custom order. You have to buy a minimum of 5 gallons.

I eventually just decided to make my own. It's not very difficult, you just have to be sure you clean and sterilize everything well.

About the parabens, I've only found one supplier that offers paraben free lotion, and it's a custom order. You have to buy a minimum of 5 gallons.

I eventually just decided to make my own. It's not very difficult, you just have to be sure you clean and sterilize everything well.

Could you please clarify this for my over-exhausted brain (sorry, it's midnight here)...

Are you saying that you're making lotion without parabens? If so, could you share with us what you're using for a preservative in it? Thanks!

Yes, you just have to find a paraben free preservative. There are a couple out there. I personally like liquid germall plus. It consists of: Propylene Glycol (and) Diazolidinyl Urea (and) Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate

There's also Optiphen Plus, which is: Phenoxyethanol (and) Caprylyl Glycol (and) Sorbic Acid

You can get both of the ones I listed at WSP.

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/StoreCategory.aspx?CategoryID=811&CategoryName=Preservatives

Or for more info, check out ISP. They are the company that makes these preservatives.

http://www.ispcorp.com/products/preservatives/index.html