Ok, this mottling stuff is ticking me off. :)

I'm trying to make a mottled candle, and it's just not working. I've read from different website how to achieve the mottled look, and I've learned that I need to use at least 1 oz of fo per pound (or 1 oz of mineral oil for unscented), and heat the wax to at least 190, and pour it at that temp. But everytime, the candles comes out as smooth and clear as a baby's butt. One website said to heat the wax to 190, and let it simmer at 190 for 30 minutes. That seemed strange to me, so I didn't do that. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I need more fo. Any suggestions?

I'm trying to make a mottled candle, and it's just not working. I've read from different website how to achieve the mottled look, and I've learned that I need to use at least 1 oz of fo per pound (or 1 oz of mineral oil for unscented), and heat the wax to at least 190, and pour it at that temp. But everytime, the candles comes out as smooth and clear as a baby's butt. One website said to heat the wax to 190, and let it simmer at 190 for 30 minutes. That seemed strange to me, so I didn't do that. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I need more fo. Any suggestions?

oh gosh no! heating for 30 minutes at a high temp will cook off the fo...

i heat to 185* add 1 oz fo, dye ( i like stearic too) then pour at 180* and wrap a towel around the mold to slow the cooling process.

it will be smooth bu have mottling. the mottling look will depend on the fo...different fo's give different mottling looks from cloud bursts to a few snowflakes to all over consistent mottling.

I'm just using wax I bought in a craft store with a MP of 145. I ordered some 1343 and it should be here this week. I also ordered Stearic Acid, so I'll try these two things when they arrive. For now, I think tonight I'm going to melt down the candle, add more fo (although I hate the fo I'm using...French Vanilla...sickeningly sweet) and try again.

And the towel around the mold is a great idea. I did read that it needs to cool slowly, but didn't know what to do to make it slow down.

Thanks...y'all are so friendly and helpful. :)

Well if you can't give more specifics than that on your wax, I think it's your wax ;)

However, you can try upping your % fo FO to 1.25ish and see if it works, but bettering it won't. However if it's a straight parrafin it should work.

As for the steric, you can use up to 2-3 Tablespoons just fine in a pound of wax and still get mottling, so I wouldn't worry about that. All ther steric really does is help cut down on the slimy goo caused from the mottling, makes it to where the wax can hold a little more FO etc.

But I wouldn't go up to 190 degrees if you paid me. You can get mottling at 170 degrees, 175 degrees, 180 degrees and 185 degrees etc. Just gotta have the wax that will allow for it and enough FO in the wax.

My guess is your wax just won't mottle. There is a type of 1343 that also will not mottle ... referred to as 1343N ... so if you want mottle, you want the 1343A.

Scented...yeah, I don't have any other info about the wax I'm using. Just a wax with a medium MP from a craft store. It had a small label on it, but I threw that way. I imagine I'm going to have better luck with the 1343 I ordered. (I'm pretty sure it was 1343A, but thanks to you, I know to make sure it's not 1343N) :) Thanks so much!

i agree with scented...i also use 2-3 TBS of stearic in my mottled pillars....one note, aside from one kind of vybar, your typical vybar will inhibit mottling. so steer clear of it...anyone wanna remind me which vybar is safe for thisapplication?

Straight IGI 1343 with only 3/4oz of FO will mottle. I found If you add no additives then that is the max FO load I could get without bleed. Also mottles have this strange morph effect to them. The longer they set the mottle will change. Also like others said very slow cool for a better mottle.

Your problem is the wax. There's no trick to getting a mottled candle with the right wax, but some paraffins resist mottling and certain additives kill it.

With most FOs and a suitable wax, as little as 1/2 oz will buy you a mottled candle.

Using the right amount of stearic will support fragrance loads up to 6% or more, depending on the wax. Using too little can be counterproductive and get you a sweatier candle than none at all. Higher amounts will progressively increase the opacity of the wax and decrease the mottling. Experiment.

Normal pouring temps are fine. Changing the temp will vary the results and can also compensate for variations in room temp through the year. Pillars generally cool slowly enough on their own unless the room is very cool or drafty. If you want to max out your mottle by insulating the molds, it's best to do it at the end of the cooling cycle when they're already starting to mottle.

Thanks Top...yeah, I guess it's the wax from the craft store. Some 1343 is on it's way to me as we speak (type)...so I would imagine I'll have better luck with that. Thanks so much!
That will work great for the mottling. Unfortunately it will bulge and not burn all that well.

That will work great for the mottling. Unfortunately it will bulge and not burn all that well.

Not necessarily. I'm having pretty good results with an 18ply...lol Definitely different from the 27ply before. Haven't finished testing, so we'll see....

My 1343A wax mottles nicely and won't bulge at all if I use about 2 TB of Stearic per pound. It self consumes perfectly. I use a 24 ply on my 3 inch diameter pillars, cept for vanilla and cinnnamon, then I wick up a bit.

My 1343A wax mottles nicely and won't bulge at all if I use about 2 TB of Stearic per pound. It self consumes perfectly. I use a 24 ply on my 3 inch diameter pillars, cept for vanilla and cinnnamon, then I wick up a bit.

WOW!!! I'm amazed.......

I've been testing my 1343A for about 3 months now, tested approximately 40 candles, and have not been able to get rid of the bulge in mottles!!!

I have tried 2tbs/pp of stearic, 3tbs/pp of stearic, vybar 343, translucent crystals, 7 different types of wicks, etc etc....... no luck!!!!

You must have tested so much more than me - So 'fess up Girl, What's the secret?!?!?!? :confused:

Not necessarily. I'm having pretty good results with an 18ply...lol Definitely different from the 27ply before. Haven't finished testing, so we'll see....
I've been through this exercise myself. Underwicking will put off the inevitable, but that's not going to produce a good balanced burn. Nothing will work as well as a more suitable wax, properly wicked.

I understand the 1343 versatility myth won't be busted overnight. There's nothing wrong with the wax. If you want to use an additive other than stearic it's the perfect type of wax. It just isn't so good for every kind of candle.