In regards to chunk candles

Sorry, I posted in the gallery by mistake the first time.

I've come into a problem when burning chunk candles, and other than hitting the outside with a heat gun, or trying to find a clear wax for overdipping; when the heat hits a chunk and melts it, all the wax pool pours right thru the hole it leaves. So is my wax pool too wide? Is my wick too large? I don't know. I love the look of the chunk candle but won't sell any because of this problem.

I'm assuming you mean pillars. Are you using the same wax and additives for the chunks and overpour? I have found that workds the best. You do have to watch that your pouring temp is not too hot though.

I also agree that a picture and size of candle and wick would help. Also type of wax and additives?

A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say. If you can't post a picture, please try to explain just what your procedure is. It is a little unclear what is actually happening with your candle, or how you made it. I'm sure you will find a solution from someone here.

Cheers

Janette

In addition to the above tips (assuming you're using the same wax for chunks and overpour, etc.) then yes, you might want to wick down a size and see how that does. Try to leave more of an unmelted "shell" on your pillar by using a smaller wick.

They are all pillar candles that I am having a problem with. I do use the same wax for the chunks as I do for the overpour. My chunk pillars look just like the chunk pillars in the gallery thats why I mentioned it. I haven't made any more since my last one spewed like molten lava out of one of the spaces where the chunk melted. So I'm left with the option of either using a smaller wick or overdipping. I'm afraid that overdipping would cause the chunking effect to disappear and using a smaller wick would cause the flame to go out.

:mad: Alyce

What kind of wax are you using? What size molds are you using? What temperature are you pouring? Mine self consume....once in a while it will leak but very very seldom. I use 4045H(overpour) and CBL 141 for chunks. I use #2 SB wick for a 3" pillar and pour at about 190. If I do a white candle, then I pour at about 165. Tap your molds and make sure they are settled....hit the outside with a heat gun. I don't usually unless there is a specific reason. I make all kinds of chunks....all kinds. Everyday....everyday....I am making some today and will tomorrow. lol......There all all kinds of finishes too....depends on if you want it rustic, clear or creamy or crackled.....that's when additives come into play. This is a science and an art...but sooooo much fun...when it works....:) Donita