Hello Everyone, Need Help!

Hello to all on here, my name is David and I am learning to make candles. I just have a few questions for anyone who might be able to help me. Let me first say that the gallery pics are very cool, there are some beautiful candles in there from all of you!

I am currently trying to make some pink and blue candles to raise money for March of Dimes. My son was born 1lb. 10 oz. and he spent 4 months in the NICU so I really wanted to do something cool to help out this year. I have about a month before the walkathon here.

My first question is about the chunk candles and layered candles. It seams to be common to heat up the glass container before pouring, to reduce the wet spots and get the wax to adhere to the glass better. How do I do this if I have chunks in there, or a layer already poured? (My candles look ok except there are surface problems with the wax. They looked fine yesterday, but today...not so good.

My next question is if anyone has any good ideas to combine pink and blue in a container. I really liked the marbled ones that appear in the gallery they are great! But, when I combine the blue dye into the pink, it just turns purple. :undecided

Have not tried putting the pink into the blue yet. Any Suggestions?

I am using a blended soy wax for containers that is supposed to be easy to use but my final results are not great. I am still in the testing mode now, so no fragrance just color. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

David ~

Just gonna have to practice, practice, practice. I don't make the containers often enough, but would think you don't keep heating the jar (just heat it once, in the oven, till warm)

As for combining the colors ... ummm if you add pink to blue you're still going to get purple. Sooooooooooooooo here's a thought ... pour the blue, wait for it to set up enough to take on some pink and then swirling that pink around in the container etc. Might want to consider swirling that blue around to so that there's a consistent look of the wax. Will likely be time consuming. Tis much easier to add darker colors to lighter ones in my opinion when trying to swirl, marble or whatever you want to call it. You might just have to try out several kinds of possibilities to get the blue and pink to show and not the blue and purple.

Guest ShellyRobyn

I do pink and blue chunk candles quite often for baby showers and they are super cute? I use 1343 for both the chunks and the overpour. I heat the overpour to about 190 and then hit the glass with the heat gun. They turn out awesome. No bleeding.

I just poured 500 pink votives for a Breast Cancer run that my daughter is running in in Chicago in June. They sold like hotcakes for $1.50 each. Also, the WalMart in our small town allowed them to sell in front of the store and matched them dollar for dollar. The WalMart share was sent directly to the charity. These are alot easier and less expensive to pour that jar candles and the profit is great.

I don't make containers, I make pillars, but I can tell you how I make marbled pillars, and maybe you can try it with containers, dunno. I color the wax one color (using pink and blue, I'd color it pink, cuz darker will show up on lighter better than the other way around) let the wax cool a bit til you get a thin skin, then stir stir stir til the wax is almost an oatmeal consistancy, then add a few drops here and there of the blue, mix just a little bit, dont over mix, or you will lose the marble and become purple, just 2-3 folds, pour into hot container.

I would suggest to include fragrance even when testing if you intend to scent the final product. Each different scent can change which wick will be needed for that perfect burn. Therefore testing without fo (fragrance oil)(unless your candles are going to be unscented) is almost pointless. HTH