I read that soy can easily crack ?

Hi,

In answer to Fire N Ice asking where did I read this , I was looking through ebay to try and locate any book on soy candlemaking, I knowthere isnt much on it.

I did find one book in there called " Joy of Soy " the person selling this book has it written on her auction that soy can crack. I thought it a bit odd considering that soy is a softer type of wax.

I have poured a few soy candles, not many. But doing this big order we have at work which is reaching its final sstages before we start pouring, I just need to make sure I have all info on hand before I start pouring these container candles, we did a couple of trials.

Thanks,

Robyn :-)

"Joy of Soy Candles". Terrific projects for natural soy wax and all the tips and hints you need.

Unlike other waxes, soy is very sensitive to use. It seems to crack easily. This book includes simple steps that will help prevent the cracking and guide you to successful soy candle making.

Includes projects such as Jewel Tone votives which are so quick and easy to make and so useful, patio candles, nature's bounty candles by using themes from nature to give your candles a beautiful, earthy look, flower garden candles, delightful whimsical candles, layered candles and so much more.

I've heard that if you add too much beeswax it can crack, and sometimes in containers you will see some hairline cracks going around the perimeter of the container (a heat gun will fix this). Haven't tried pillars or votives, so can't speak for those.

P.S. I've only gotten the hairline cracks when using Cargill C-3, so it might be something in their blend.

I have had some fine hair-line cracking with the soy I use, but have narrowed that problem down to the temp of the room. We don't heat our house very high and I have had to improvise in order to keep them from cooling too quickly. That is the only problems I have ever had with cracking.

Cargill P-1 cracks like bad concrete!!! I have managed to be able to use it by blending it with other waxes, but on its own or with universal soy additive (stearic) it cracks, "blooms" and does all sorts of strange things! I asked my supplier, and he passed on advice from the mfg rep who said to pour it very cool... unfortunately the temperature he suggested was well below the melting temp for P-1...:undecided It does seem to be very temperature sensitive...

Container type soys are so soft, they don't give me any trouble with cracking. :D

I too have gotten hair line cracks around the perimeter of the candle. The heat gun is a blessing but I wish that I didn't have to use it all the time. My house is a fairly constant 70 degrees and I've tried pouring hot, cool, slushy, and using a box over the candles. Same result. I am using the C-3 as well so maybe it is the wax? I used another (don't remember exactly what it was) and don't remember the cracking so much. Today was warmer so I will have to see if the ones I just made cracked.