No Scent...HELP!!!! Im giving up...

scntdwik

on trying to get my candles to throw scent and just throw it all away!!!

I am using Candle Source FO.

Smells great when its melted and being poured but once set, doesnt smell like anything.

I am using additives in my wax and the proper(whatever that means!) amount of dye, FO and additives and not getting anywhere with it.

I know this takes alot of practice but I must be doing something wrong thats obviously noticeable!

I have tried less/more FO, nothing.

I have purchased YK candles in the past and they smell great without being lit..shouldnt handmade ones have some smell to them without being lit?

Im ready to give up. Thinking maybe I better stick with my soap!

Any suggestions?

Thanks much.:wink2:

Also - what kind of wicks are you using, what size jar, what does the melt pool look like, etc. It all affects scent throw after the candle cures and gives us an idea of where to lead you. It's not just about the amount of FO used in the wax. There are lots of great people here to help you through. Don't give up :D

EO is essential oil. EO is natural, usually steam distilled plant, flower, root etc. FO is fragrance oil, it may contain EO, but it is either mostly or entirely synthetic.

The melt pool is the wax surrounding the flame which becomes liquid or melted. When a scented candle is burning, the melt pool is what releases the fragrance. The larger the melt pool, the more scent can be released. Candles will throw more after they have been lit for while (1 hour or more depending on candle), and the melt pool has become substantial.

Parrafin wax generally throws more easily than soy, usually with less FO also. Parrafin, in my opinion, does benefit from a cure time, I wait a couple of days before judging. Some scents benefit from several weeks of cure time. You should be able to smell the scent of a parrafin candle before it is lit. How much FO are you using?

I noticed you are in Wash. state. If you are near Seattle you could try dropping by Pourette Manufacuring. This way you could smell their scents for free. The staff there is very knowledgeable and more than willing to help. I have used their FOs in the past with success.

Hope this Helps. Keep trying.

Cheers

Janette

Could be your FO. I use straight soy and with mine, if I am going to get a good throw out of it, it happens within the first couple of days or so. If it takes more than a few days, I don't use it. With soy, the hardest FO's for me to get to throw were "water type" FO's like Rain or Ocean, couldn't get Juniper Breeze to throw in it either. Most all of the other ones I have tried I get a good/great throw. Good idea to try another supplier, that way you can see if the FO is your problem. With good FO's soy really does throw well, so don't give up on it. :D

Glad you are trying another FO company. Never heard of the one you are using. Have you gotten someone else to smell your candles. Candlemakers do get candle nose and can't smell them at all. Trying smells some coffee beans or instant coffee before you smell them. Might help. Good luck and don't give up yet.