Systematic method of testing? moral support...HELP!!

Okay, I have everything out on the table...feeling a bit overwhelmed. Four kinds of wax, 6 scents, 6 of each kind of several wicks...thankfully only one size jar, 4 oz jelly.

Help, where do I start...I will research things to death, now it's time to do it and I don't know what to do first!!!

Pick one wax, one scent, and try 3 different wick types, and or sizes. Or one wax, three scents and the same wick. Or...

Okay, I found the glue gun, so I think I'll start by glueing wicks in. But which ones do I start with!?!... okay...calm down. Wick size is determined by wax, scent and jar size...OMG I'm beginning to wonder if this is too much for a tree rat.

Rocky,

Ok. First take a deeeeeeep breath. Good. :D

Here's the thing: You really don't want to try and perfect a wick size for 6 scents in 4 different waxes - there isn't any point. You need to be testing these candles to determine which wax you want to use and go from there with choosing Fos and nailing down the wicking. But, part of picking a wax is choosing one that you are able to wick and that throws well. So, I would start with two scents and pour them into all your waxes. Pour without a wick unless you are sure about what wick size you want to try. Pouring without a wick makes it easier to pull the wick up if it's the absolute wrong size.

Once these are ready (let them cure for a while before burning), you can test burn them and see which wax has the better cold throw, hot throw, set-up, etc . . . At this point, you may be able to narrow down your four waxes into two waxes (eliminate two). Then do more testing with those two waxes to see which one you want to keep. You really need to settle on a particular wax before buy and testing tons of FO.

Does this all make sense? I'm basically doing the same thing right now. I'm testing Ecosoya 135, CBadv and C-3. So, I poured Fruit Slices in each wax on Saturday and am letting them cure. Then I'll test them individually for throw and try to eliminate one wax within the next week. Then I'll pour more testers and go from there. Good luck!

Oh, thank you for your advice and encouragement. I read through your post several times, are you saying pour without the wick and then what? Stick a wick in after the fact? If that one doesn't work, pull it out and try another? Interesting, I hadn't caught or retained that little tip in all my reading.

So don't have to worry about sticking no wicks today, alrighty!

A deep breath helped, indeed especially after reading your post. I think lunch will help too... and no more cafeine...

Thanks so much,

Rocky

Just use something sharp and thin (think skewers) to poke a hole in the center of your container - stick in the wick you want to try 1st.....If you need to change to another size, pull wick out (pliers, fingers usually work for me), stick in another one....don't worry about sticking your wick until you think you know which one you want.

Have fun!!

Debbie

Heated votive wick pins work great to make holes for testers. You can use a heat gun to make sure the candle tops are flat each time you try a new wick.

You'll need to take really good notes. I have a whole notebook dedicated to testing results. There is no way you can remember the results from everything you try. You'll feel much less lost if you keep track of everything you're doing.

Be patient testing candles takes a lot of time if you want to do it right.

Sorry I wasn't clear :o , but the other posters are right. It's easier to pour a non-wicked jar when you have no idea what wick to start with. Then use a votive pin or skewer to poke a hole in the candle, almost to the bottom. Take a wick, turn it upside down and put it in the hole. Cut off the extra and you're ready to go.

I hope I helped some. This can be very overwhelming, but it can also be a lot of fun. Just make sure to take very detailed notes. www.candlecauldron.com has some great testing forms and other info you might want to look at. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions :)

Thanks for all the tips. The testing sheets are printed and punched! Thanks, AngelaVA, for the link & Jeana for the tips on testing. Simple soy & smart tart, I dug some skewers out of the cupboard.

Thanks,

Rocky

Thanks for all the tips. The testing sheets are printed and punched! Thanks, AngelaVA, for the link & Jeana for the tips on testing. Simple soy & smart tart, I dug some skewers out of the cupboard.

Thanks,

Rocky

Be sure to keep us posted on how things turn out for you :)