Scented Stones For Car Air Freshners

During spring break, my 6 year old grandson and I made scented stones. We cut them out with cookie cutters, used stamps to stamp different impressions on them and poked a small hole at the top. When they were dry, we used gold elastic cord through the hole and he has been giving them to family and friends for car air freshners. They look really nice hanging off the mirror and smell so good. Has anyone else tried this. They were so inexpensive to make and can be made in so many different shapes. You could also roll them out on some really textured fabric (burlap?) and give them a really cool look. We didn't color them but that would be another option. Ginger

I guess I got the recipe some where on the internet.(that's where I get everything.) It's a play dough type dough that you let harden. Here goes:

1 1/2 cup flour

1/4 cup salt

1/4 cup cornstarch

2/3 cup boiling water

1 Tablespoon fragrance oil

colorant of choice-on the second batch, I used food coloring

Mix all dry ingredients together. I sifted mine for a smoother texture. Heat water to boiling in microwave. Add fragrance oil and color to water. Stir water into flour mixture, mixing and kneading with hands.It should look like pie dough or cookie dough. Roll out 1/4" think and cut into shapes with cookie cutter or biscuit cutter. You can stamp impressions with stamps. The second batch I made, I rolled it out on a very textured fabric and it gave the backside a honeycomb effect. Be sure to make small hole at top to thread elastic thread through. Let air dry and time will vary on that. This was really a fun project to do with kids and not too messy. My grandson loves it when people compliment him on the fine job he did. It also smells good. We are still having cool weather here in Arkansas but the days that it warms up, the truck smells really good but not overpowering. Hope you enjoy. Ginger

Any craft store or Walmart should have it. I think it is over with the bead stuff at walmart. I can't remember the price but it was cheap or you could also use yarn or jute. I think we cut the elastic thread about 8-9 inches and then tied a knot and it really fits good over the mirror. Not swinging or bobbing around. Have fun!!

Just checked on my last batch of fragrance stones. I made 1/2 batch so I could play with the color. I used two drops of red food coloring and 2 drops of blue. It made a really sick color of purple but as it is drying, the color is turning into a light concrete color. It is really looking like stone. In some places there are a few little cracks which really adds to the look. Hope the color doesn't fade any more. Anyone else have any ideas? These are fun to make even without kids. I really like quick projects where I can see instant results. How about rolling them into little balls, making the holes and when dry, thread them like beads. I think I'll try another 1/2 batch!!

How about rolling them into little balls, making the holes and when dry, thread them like beads.

Sounds like a neat idea. You could make them into a necklace and call them scented car jewlery.

BTW- Is the scent very strong & how long does the scent last.

I had a recipe like this once, ( lost it) but you could make the dough balls and then just put them in a bowl or something like that and just set them around for air fresheners. had never heard of putting a hole in them then hanging, thats a neat idea.

Not sure how long they will last. We just made them last week on spring break. I used cucumber mint for SNC. They smell strong now but won't run you out of your car. As the temperatures warm up, so will your car and the scent should become stronger, right?

True but the heat will "cook" the scent out faster.