Question re; veg/soy wax & danger, plate burning container??

I bought a heating plate to use with some container candles that I have (soy).

It came from Walmart, it is a Scentsible Aroma.

Now, when you open the box and read the paper insert, it says "Using vegetable based waxes on the warmer are likely to cause candles to explode" WTH?!?! :undecided It does not say anything at all on the box about it. Plus there are about a 100 more other kinds of warnings on there, too. :tiptoe: It mentions the veg. based candle a couple more times.

I already had the jar on there warming at the time, so I just sat it in a box and kept an eye on it. I had it on there for about 5 hours, and it seemed fine.

Why in the world would a vegetable based wax cause a container explode? Seems to me parrafin would more likely cause something like that if anything. Is it because veg. has a lower melt point or something?

Are there other, better warmers out there that would not have this issue?:confused:

Soy is NOT an explosive. I have no idea why the warning unless the warmer is set to heat really hot. Like you shouldn't use wax in a potpourri simmering pot, gets too hot. Ladies, the c4 post was in bad taste.
That's what you think. Certain things can make soy highly unstable and prone to detonation. I would take the issue seriously if I were you, as it would be in bad taste to blow one of your customers to smithereens.

That's what you think. Certain things can make soy highly unstable and prone to detonation. I would take the issue seriously if I were you, as it would be in bad taste to blow one of your customers to smithereens.

Top, what is (certain things?) With all the cautions and responsibilities we have in making candles/tarts, sometimes I think it is just not worth the risk. I missed the thread back last fall.

I'm pretty new around here, so I missed that thread. All things considered, I'm not going to worry about using it and it exploding. :D

Since I don't sell to anyone, the safety concern for others doesn't apply. I will always place mine in an area where I can keep an eye on it at all times, and place it in a tray or something in case the jar or container should crack.

I honestly think manufactures have to cover themselves on every issue known to man, to keep them from being sued by every Tom, Dick and Harry because of ignorance. Maybe they think people are going to cook up meth or something with these things. :eek: They didn't seem to be so concerned about it to mention it on the outside of the box!

Using a little common sense has to account for something.

Hey Top... I thought that was your mission!!! :laugh2:

Have you gone to Pyro Rehab?????:laugh2:(Joking)

I use these exact same plates, and I re-sell these plates.

Specifically, these plates are the ones I have had the least trouble with.

JoAnn's Fabrics...every one returned with cracks! Michaels, malfunction at least 20% of the time..and they over heat to a dangerous temp.

However, even when I have heated the soy to 200*, I have never had a pop, much less an explosion....Thank God for small favors!

However, I do not use additives.

I have tested the temp of the fully melted soy in the jars...I use 8 oz tureen jars for a quicker melt on wickless candles. The melted soy temp usually is not more than 165*...this is a good temp. Considering that I melt my wax to around 170* and then add my color, I think that this 165-170 is good.

Good Luck to you.

Aw Top, quit messin' with them. Some folks are really gullible. Soy is no more explosive than another other wax out there - which is not at all. Maybe they meant it can spatter (on the warning label), but I've seen paraffin spatter on a warmer too. Good gosh, the next thing you know the rumor will spread that soy is highly explosive, and my business insurance premiums will go through the roof.

Aw Top, quit messin' with them. Some folks are really gullible. Soy is no more explosive than another other wax out there - which is not at all. Maybe they meant it can spatter (on the warning label), but I've seen paraffin spatter on a warmer too. Good gosh, the next thing you know the rumor will spread that soy is highly explosive, and my business insurance premiums will go through the roof.
Yeah but she told Angela that her perfectly good joke was in poor taste. Ya gotta mess with someone like that.

Top, I've been looking for a good quote FOR paraffin candles rather than soy candles to use on my website. I think I'll just quote you on "soy being explosive." I'll refer them back to you. That'll teach you to mess with us. I'm really not gullible, but everyday I learn new things here on the board. You are supposed to be "the king" so I thought you might know something I didn't know. The End!

Top, one of the many things I adore about your posts is your sense of humor! When I'm driving down the road and I see people flipping birds and blowing horns or when I'm standing in line at the grocery store and see scowling faces and rude comments or when I read a post where someone is being chastised for making a joke then my first response is LIGHTEN UP!

Life is too short and I love smiling and Angela's post was clever and made me smile. Yes some people are gullible and for a moment might have seriously thought soy was explosive but in this business you can't afford to take someone's opinion as gospel. You have to do the research.

Now, now guys play nice! We all get the same enjoyment out of this creative craft and for some businesses. We hear so many different things that any person can misunderstand.

I have four kids (little ones) so I don't burn candles in all of my rooms because I cannot be present in all of the rooms at once. So I use the warmer. I actually use the warmer you can buy at hobby lobby for $3.99. Nothing fancy. But I burn pure soy and I load that baby up good. I know that goes against ethics. But so far no fatalities. I even attempted with EO's which are way more flammable. That is just for my purposes. I wouldn't ever do that with one I sell. We are all not going to agree what is better animal or vegetable. So just make your melting jars and give a caution not to burn for long periods of time. On any of them!

I did like the C4 comment though, that was cute!