Smooth Tops?!

I made a batch of candles yesterday...EZ Soy, 1 oz. FO per pound, added at 175º and poured at 100º...but the tops of my candles are rough, bumpy, crystallizing, etc. The cold scent throw is incredible, but the tops are irking me!!! HELP!:confused: I forgot to mention they're in 8 oz. tins, if that counts for anything.

Try a little beeswax, you melt it in with your soy. Too much beeswax will cause cracking so you will need to adjust it to your needs, but 2-3% should almost get you there. It also helps a little with scent throw and with frosting issues. It doesn't totally elminate them, but it does help some. :D

What kind of thermometer are you using?

I just write this b/c I first used a probe type thermometer and was getting inconsistant results. Well, a glass candy thermometer gave much better results. Had some blistered tops with probe.

Just a thought...

Hope

Thanks! On another board, it was suggested I purchase a heat gun, so I will try both. :-)

Sometimes the heatgun will help, at least on the initial set up. But the beeswax will help on the consecutive burns.