How much info would you give ??

What happened to figuring it out on your own?:angry2: IMO, part of the fun IS figuring it out for myself. What sense of accomplishment can you possibly get by asking someone to divulge their candlemaking secrets? Do people not want to do anything for themselves anymore?:waiting: Hmm...I think I already know the answer to that one.

What happened to figuring it out on your own?:angry2: IMO, part of the fun IS figuring it out for myself. What sense of accomplishment can you possibly get by asking someone to divulge their candlemaking secrets? Do people not want to do anything for themselves anymore?:waiting: Hmm...I think I already know the answer to that one.

it's that "Please hold my hand" mentality that people have, besides the laziness...

ok sorry...I wont keep going...:D

it's that "Please hold my hand" mentality that people have, besides the laziness...

ok sorry...I wont keep going...:D

hmm think I have another post and that is the exact title

"need a hand Holder"

I really don't mind helping people but I'm not a huge fan of people e-mailing me on my website and asking me how to duplicate my buisness

I give customers as little information as possible. I tell them I get my product from many suppliers and they range from the west coast to the east coast so unless I went home and went through all my pages of research I couldn't possibly tell them exactly where I got that exact scent from. Usually once you start talking about pages of research it tends to be a mute subject...LOL. I honestly try very hard not to be impolite about it, since I am on a quest for more knowledge every day, otherwise I wouldn't come to this board and I remember when it was me on the other side of that table wondering how it all comes together.

And when they ask me how I make my candles, I have to say something along the lines that you learn how to drive a car by DRIVING, not by having someone tell you how to drive. LOL Candlemaking and soaping are best learned by DOING. There's just no substitute for experience. :)

it does really irk me that friends and family can't support my little home business.

I wonder if it's because as employees, they don't realize that buying from you (instead of from Y**kee) means they're supporting you. Maybe it's the same way for some of those who ask for your sources. To them it might be no different from asking for your fudge recipe. When you're an employee, you just don't think in the same way.

I'll dish. Lately, I've been having some fun with this, I tell them the truth > "I've been thinking about offering candle business consulting services. You know, offering up my years of experience & research for a price. Might even expand, take on a partner & franchise. How much time & money do you have ?"

I get weird looks, I guess they don't think of this as a business. btw the 'partner' thing caught 2 of my competition off guard, they started talking business, to me, the person they were just trying to steal secrets from! Partnering with a lazy wannabe thief, I don't think so!

Last year I had a woman come up to my booth, asking ? after ? almost distracting me from customers. On a break I walked around the festival & sure enough she had a candle booth. Guess what I'm saying is sometimes questions aren't innocent. Don't let your guard down.

I'll dish.

Last year I had a woman come up to my booth, asking ? after ? almost distracting me from customers. On a break I walked around the festival & sure enough she had a candle booth. Guess what I'm saying is sometimes questions aren't innocent. Don't let your guard down.

Boy isn't that the truth. I always tell people I buy in HUGE bulk to save money. I buy by the pallet for jars and wax and my scents in 5lb buckets. If I know the person is a chandler just checking me out, the five pound pails of scent turn into 5 gallon buckets. LOL! They quickly go away figuring they don't have the money to buy in those bulks.:laugh2:

Hey there. I'm with you about the craft stores and things. When I first started out I used craft store scents and let me tell you, when I found the supplier I have, I thought I had died and gone to heaven literally! OMG what a big difference. I never went back to the craft stores! If I run out of something and I need it desperitely I would rather make my customer wait a few extra days for the highest quality scents I offer than to sell them crap and lose them all together! I am hoping to open a bath and body supply store in my city within the next few years!

Hey there. I'm with you about the craft stores and things. When I first started out I used craft store scents and let me tell you, when I found the supplier I have, I thought I had died and gone to heaven literally! OMG what a big difference. I never went back to the craft stores! If I run out of something and I need it desperitely I would rather make my customer wait a few extra days for the highest quality scents I offer than to sell them crap and lose them all together! I am hoping to open a bath and body supply store in my city within the next few years!

This statement might be true of the chain craft stores like Hobby Lobyy and Michaels but it is not true of every craft store out there. The craft supply store I use locally has GREAT F/O and the very top quality too. I shop with several F/O sites but I also use Boleks. They are local and family owned and not a chain. Since I( am a tester for many of their F/O in soy. I've used their F/O for years and the throw and quality is EXCELLENT!:yes:

below is the the link to the Valentines tart swap. Go read my reviews. Every single one of the scents was from Boleks!

http://xsorbit30.com/users5/ctswapreview/index.php#3